1. So Much Drama (C)

a theatre student wonders what to write their monologue for class about

*

Est. Run Time: 1:00.00

Suggested Props: a chair (or a black box for black box theatre)

Suggested Costuming: all-black (black box theatre) OR just regular clothes that a teen might wear

*

*sits down lazily* So my new drama teacher seems to be completely obsessed with embarrassing us, and she decided to make us perform monologues for our very first performance. She said it's "to see where we're all at," but I think otherwise. I think it's to give us an opportunity to "*coughs* Ummm, uhhh...uhhhh..." in front of the entire class. The guy I like is even in that class!

And you know what makes it even worse? We have to write our own monologues! You've gotta be kidding! I've never written a monologue before, and I can't even write good essays! And we have to get her approval on it?! How am I supposed to manage that?

I asked a senior I know about it, cuz he was in the same class last year, and he never had to do anything like it. He suggested that I just wing it and rant about something, but I...I don't know what I could rant about. Gay rights? Politics? My love life? Or...maybe something a bit less serious than those....

*stands up* Hey, wait a minute...couldn't I just use this? Yeah! I'll just write this all down, and I can—oh. Shoot. Miss Jones probably wouldn't like me insulting her in my monologue. *sighs*

*sits down again* And I'm back at square one.

*

Notes: This isn't my favorite of the ones I'm written, but it's one of the more everyday-ish ones, if you're auditioning for or going for a more regular-seeming character, especially a more modern-day show. Plus, it's one of the first I wrote, so I felt obligated to include it.