14. Last-Minute Monologue (C)

an auditionee forgets they had to memorize a monologue and improvs it 

*

Est. Run Time: 1:40.00

Suggested Props: none

Suggested Costuming: something messy-seeming

*

*runs in* Oh, thank goodness! I made it on time!

I'm sorry I'm late. I had a...bit of an issue with a flock of birds. Well, the birds had a bit of an issue with me. Chased me for a good few blocks. Gosh, I'm lucky I survived!

Anyway, I am so glad to be here for you today! I think I am the perfect person for Juliet. You just have to give me the part!

*pauses, as if listening to someone* ...Monologue? We had to have a—oh, yes, of course! I totally have a monologue prepared! Haha, yes, why wouldn't I.... *whispers to sidelines/self* Oh, gosh. Help me.... *to the "people"* Yes, I'll just perform my monologue right now....

Um. Right. Well. Here I go. Uh.... *pauses think nervously* Oh, Romeo! Whyfore—uh, wherefore art thou, Romeo! Something something something about a rose! I talketh like I be from ye merry olde days! I loveth thou, Romeo! I talketh on a balcony, pretending you are not listening the entire time! ...eth!

*bows* Thank you.

*pauses, as if listening to someone* What? *laughs nervously* No, of course not! That wasn't made up on the spot at all! I totally didn't completely forget about needing a monologue until the last minute or anything. Of course not....

I'm gonna...I'm just gonna go now. Um, see you at callbacks?

*

This one is a fun one to perform (although I have not personally performed it live for others before), but I wouldn't recommend it for actual auditions for obvious reasons. You don't want the directors to think you're being serious when performing this.... Although, on the other hand, if you are auditioning for an overly forgetful or anxious character, that comic incorporation of those traits into your monologue may actually work in your favor and get you that callback.