19. Late to an Important Date (C)

the White Rabbit panics about being late to the castle 

*

Est. Run Time: 1:00.00

Suggested Props: a wristwatch or a pocket watch

Suggested Costuming: all-white (maybe even with some bunny ears for fun)

*

*hurries/hops in* Oh, no, I'm late! To a very important date! Ugh, what am I gonna do?! I'm doomed.... *panics* Oh, they're gonna kill me! And I'm not exaggerating...I've seen what they do to people that break the rules...especially people who're late.... *pantomimes head being cut off*

*starts pacing back and forth anxiously* I'm in so much trouble...what do I do? *looks at watch* I still have four minutes. No, wait, make that three. No, wait—dang it, this thing's broken, isn't it? *bangs on the watch* There we go. *pauses* I only have two minutes to get to the castle?! But my ride won't even get here in ten!

If I just stop and think.... *pauses to think* Oh, who am I kidding, I don't have time to think. Maybe if I just...hopped there? *shakes head* No, I'm not nearly as fast as I was all the years ago. *sighs loudly, still pacing*

*glances at watch* Oh, no, only one minute left! I don't have time to think this over! The Queen of Hearts will have my head! *gulps* ...Literally. Her name is a misnomer. Unless it means she eats the hearts of the innocent for breakfast....

Gotta hop! *dashes off as fast as possible while hopping*

*

This is a good monologue for auditioning for an anxious character. If played well, you can demonstrate your abilities to fidget, be restless, etc. It is also good if auditioning for something such as Alice in Wonderland or perhaps other fantasy plays (such as The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe), especially if you are auditioning for an animal character and you physically and verbally emphasize the rabbit-like traits in the White Rabbit.

Note: I do not own Alice in Wonderland. I merely wrote this monologue, which is merely a play off of the book (get it, a play?).