17. "Bad Signal" (C)

a teen rambles to their mother on the phone  

*

Est. Run Time: 1:00.00

Suggested Props: none

Suggested Costuming: none

*

Hello! I'm home! *looks around* Hello? Anybody?

*phone "rings"* *picks it up* Hello? Oh, hi, Mom. Yeah, I'm home. How was your day? The same old again? Uh-huh. Oh, my day? We didn't do anything. No, Mom, I'm not joking. Yes, Mom, it is possible. I know you're a teacher, Mom, but you're a math teacher.... Yeah. You got that right. No, no, the rest of the day was fine, but math class...oh, gosh. Math class was absolutely horrible....

What we did? Oh, well, this week we've been learning all about this geometry stuff, only it's more like reviewing, not learning. Yeah, we learned it all in past years. In fact, that's all we learned in fourth, fifth, and sixth grades.... Yeah, that's why I did that macaroni project in third grade, too, and you know how well that turned out....

Today was even worse than yesterday. I told you aboutthat quiz, right? An entire class period for a five-question quiz on stuffeight-year-olds know. Well, today was worse. We just sat around, watching somevideo about parallelograms. It took up all hour-and-a-half of our class time,and I still don't know what the heck it was supposed to teach us. Andthen—what? It's all static-y? Oh, I'll talk to you later then....

*

I will say straight out that this is most certainly not my best monologue. However, we all have our good and bad ones, and this one has its merits. It's also one of my first monologues I ever wrote, so perhaps if I go back and edit it sometime I'll make it better.