24. Flying High (D)

a bipolar person experiencing a manic episode goes to a coffee shop

*

Est. Run Time: 1:15.00-1:30.00

Suggested Props: miscellaneous school supplies (i.e. books, pens, paper, folders, binders, etc), a pill bottle, a coffee cup, a bag of "food"

Suggested Costuming: none

*

*walking rapidly into the coffee shop* Today is a good day.

I don't have to worry about being motivated to get out of bed today because I didn't get any sleep. I don't need any sleep. Why would I need sleep? All I need is caffeine. AND I'M DOING GREAT.

Plus, I'm the first person in the coffee shop! Mine is gonna be the freshest coffee! Only the best for me, of course. Ooh, and I get the first pick of where to sit! Let's see, I'm gonna set up camp over here. *scampering over to a table and dumping armloads of stuff down* All right, let's get some coffee and maybe a little treat to celebrate the end of another depressed episode.

*going up to the "counter"* Hi, how are you today? *interrupting barista* I'm doing great, thanks. I'd like to order the biggest size coffee you have! Blonde roast, so it has LOTS of caffeine in it. And...let's see...what flavoring do I want in my coffee? I can't decide...they're all too good. *pauses, thinking* Wait, why don't I just get a little bit of every flavor in it? Perfect! *to the barista* I'd like every flavor syrup in it, please! Even put a little almond milk and soymilk and coconut milk in it to make it healthy. And—ooh, do I want a pastry? Hmm. Yeah. But there are so many good things to choose from...I'd like a brownie and a chocolate chip cookie and a coffee cake and a slice of banana bread and a cake pop and a croissant and a blueberry muffin and an oatmeal cookie because it's healthy!

*going to sit down* I love being like this. I can do anything when I'm like this. All the colors are so bright and pretty...all the greens and blues and reds and yellows and swirling patterns...I can do anything. I can be king of the world! I can...I can fly...or be a hero, I can save the world...or I can work out a lot.... I'm gonna do so much now. I'm so awesome I'm gonna do a bunch of stuff and get a lot of stuff done like the overachiever I am!

*opening bag* *bottle of pills falls out* Oh. Those. I forgot about those. *picking up the pills and staring at them* I should probably take those. I'm supposed to take them when I get all like this or when I get super depressed like I always do. *pauses* But I don't want to. Why would I? Why should I? I like feeling like this. Especially when I know I'm gonna fall down eventually.

*putting away the pill bottle* No. So I'm gonna have fun with this while I can!

*sighing happily* Today is a good day. *goes to get drink and all the food* *sits down and begins to work eagerly*

*

Notes: This was written as part of a monologue series for my final in Intermediate Theatre my junior year. It was incredibly fun to write and perform the series with my group-mates. However, as this is the only monologue I wrote in the series, this is the only one I will be posting. (Do keep an eye out, though - I hope to write a monologue series or two sometime soon!) I had a lot of fun making my outward appearance a little on the crazy side - I only brushed half of my hair, and I did half of my makeup normally with lots of blues/cool colors to signify episodes of depression, and then the other half of my makeup was super messy and bright to signify mania. Of course, that's not necessary, I just used it to enhance my performance and get more in character.