Chapter 7: "We protect our people."

Helga showed to her home the next day knocking on the door furiously. Eerika walked in opening the door quickly. "What is it?" Eerika snapped rubbing her eyes.

"Floki, I released him." Helga wailed and Eerika then pulled Helga and her child in.

"You may stay here as long as you wish Helga but Hillevi and I must go now. She has her training." Eerika informed Helga who nodded. "Help yourself to anything. And your child is beautiful." Eerika smiled.

"Thank you for your kindness." Helga breathed out with a strained smile.

"Floki is my friend. If I can look after either of you, than I will do so." Eerika voiced before walking outside with her child and the two had wooden swords and Eerika swung her sword forward attacking her daughter who blocked every time she hit. Her daughter was fast and Eerika was pleased with her progress. As the two stood side by side, Hillevi was punching the wooden post they had up.

"What does it mean to be a warrior mother?" Hillevi asked.

"It means we fight and kill in the name of our Gods, but those who we really fight for, are those in our hearts, like our children and our lovers. And maybe one day even for fame and glory. But never fight for aggression and hatred. Fight because you are passionate about it. For when you kill when you hate and you will invite the darkest part of you to come to play and from what I have heard, many will meet the fate of your place." Eerika shared stroking her daughters' hair. "We protect our people."

"If we protect our people, our children and our lovers, then why must we not kill in hate? Because we might hate that they hurt us." Hillevi pointed out and Eerika smiled down at her daughter.

"One day you will understand." Eerika whispered. Later that day it was time for them to go for a supply run into Kattegat and when they made it they walked down and Eerika watched with a heavy heart as she saw Ubbe and Hvitserk run forward followed by a hunting party holding Floki captive. Eerika turned with her daughter holding a hand on her shoulder to stop Hillevi from running off. She watched meeting Floki's gaze sternly as he was dragged in front of Ragnar. Eerika walked forward seeing Helga and she placed her hand on Helga comforting her in her worried state.

"The great Floki, captured by mere children. Why didn't the Gods protect you? Why didn't they hide you better from such innocent eyes? Could it be that the Gods were not interested in saving him? Because they are angry at you? Is there anything you want to say to that?" Ragnar demanded to know his eyes gazing sorrowfully on his friend. Eerika held her daughter close making sure to stand close with Helga in worry she might do something.

"I said it all." Floki muttered out after casting Helga a glance. Ragnar looked Helga's way and noticed her worried and saddened featured. He rubbed a hand over his face sighing.

"Bring him forward please." Ragnar asked and the men complied. She watched as Floki listened carefully to Ivar before he was taken away and Eerika watched sternly as Floki was taken away.

"Helga." Eerika whispered walking after the woman pulling her child along with her to follow Helga but she was running away too fast. Hillevi was then pulled into the Kings home and Eerika ran up to Ragnar. "Something is wrong with Helga, she has not spoken all afternoon. Please come." Eerika asked and Ragnar agreed following Eerika up to where Helga was digging.

"What are you doing up here?" Ragnar demanded to know.

"I am digging a grave for my daughter." Helga called out weeping openly. Eerika felt her chest tighten as she realised she had not seen the young girl all afternoon. Eerika then started on Helga throwing her arms tightly around her, as she thought about how broken she would be if her daughter were to die.