Chapter 10:"I like more than your secrets Eerika"

Yet again she spent another night in the gathering hall. They would hear about plans for Paris now that winter was finally letting up. Ragnar stormed in quickly and Bjorn left her side to whisper something in Ragnar's ear. Eerika smiled handing Hillevi a cup. "Curtly I would like to announce that we leave for Paris 3 weeks from now. But today is today and we are here to perform an important ceremony. In which my two boys Ubbe and Hvitserk will receive their sacred arm rings. Kneel." Ragnar ordered as he directed his two sons to in front of him and Bjorn. "Take this offering of Earth and salt to remind you that you belong both to the earth and to the sea." Ragnar then sat down in a rush and Eerika leaned forward throwing an arm over Hillevi who watched amazed by the ceremony as Ragnar brought out two arm rings. Eerika watched noticing Ragnar was becoming unfocused and rash. "These are your arm rings, they symbolise you're coming of age and bind you to your king and your father. Anything you swear upon these rings must be kept or you will sacrifice your place in Valhalla. Do you understand?" Ragnar asked his two boys who just barely got out their words to agree. He then handed them the rings.

"Put on your rings my brothers." Bjorn exclaimed after an eruption of cheers coursed throughout the halls and Eerika leaned forward.

"Clap for your friends." Eerika almost ordered as Hillevi seemed annoyed as they moved both to get kissed by Aslaug. Hvitserk and Ubbe then ran up to Hillevi and Hvitserk held out his arm with a proud grin.

"Look at it." He cheered and Hillevi just huffed in annoyance.

"Go away Hvitserk." Hillevi grumbled walking out of the hall and Eerika frowned as Bjorn walked up to her as Hvitserk shouted after Hillevi and Bjorn sat next to her taking a drink.

"What is wrong with them?" Bjorn asked as Eerika leaned forward.

"Congratulations Ubbe, you are becoming a man now." Eerika smiled and Ubbe nodded.

"Thank you Eerika." Ubbe smiled respectfully before walking away.

"SO?" Bjorn asked throwing his hands half up and Eerika chuckled leaning against him lazily.

"Hillevi is jealous she cannot have an arm ring." Eerika explained to him.

"But she could do much great and become a shield maiden." Bjorn pointed out making Eerika chuckle.

"Perhaps but she doesn't see it that way. She sees it as her only friends becoming men and leaving her behind for the battle. She resents it." Eerika shared sternly.

"Were you ever jealous like this?" Bjorn asked with a grin and Eerika just rolled her eyes as she took a sip of her drink.

"Hardly. I got to stay in a nice home, food in front of me regularly, men asking for my hand in marriage for when I was able to bare children, my father taught me how to fight against my will when my mother died due to a raid on the village we lived in. I had an easy life at the beginning. So I was never jealous of the men. I even laughed at their pain as they tried to prove themselves to the Gods and to the king." Eerika shared her tale laughing lightly before she turned to Bjorn. "But I prefer what I have become." Eerika whispered pressing her lips firmly on Bjorn's. Once the morning came around Eerika rolled out of bed placing her war clothes on and she reached out for her sword when she saw Hillevi wasn't in the room. Panic rose in her chest as she walked outside quickly and she saw Hillevi and Hvitserk lying in the sand together and a small smile formed on her lips as she felt Bjorn walk up behind her and followed her gaze with a chuckle.

"Hvitserk" Bjorn shouted causing the two children to jump up startled and they laughed watching as Hvitserk was pushed behind Hillevi who held a knife from her shoe. She put the knife down walking up to her mother with Hvitserk following closely behind. Bjorn then walked back inside dressing and collecting his things. "We must be going now." Bjorn pointed out and Eerika nodded preparing the horses and all four of them walked off to the docks and Bjorn stood next to Eerika as they watched Hillevi and Hvitserk. "You gave her a dagger?" Bjorn asked.