Chapter 13:"I will be the judge of that."

HILLEVI POINT OF VIEW:

I had finally made it back to Kattegat. After the many years I had spent with my mother, I was not sure if I would ever come back here again. My mother left me three years ago to raid, she left with my youngest brother. She told me to forge myself into a weapon. I forged myself into a beast. But I was not all gone. I hadn't taken that extra step my mother wanted me to take. I had no idea why she forced me to become such a beast. As I made it into the small yet overcrowded trading post of Kattegat I jumped off my horse walking in letting my hands graze over the soft fur coat of my pitch black horse. I never forgot the lesson my mother preached to me. "We are warriors before human, before lovers and before our humanity. Never lose sight of the fight, for it will save your life." Maybe her lover Bjorn Ironside had caused her to become bitter. Maybe it was because of what happened in Paris. But that had ruined many people. She had to escape and she took me in the dead of night with her. Away from my friends, those I had grown up with. As I tied my horse up near the feeding area I stalked forward into main area where the sons of Ragnar resided I paused but felt a presence next to me. Turning my head to the side my blue eyes set upon the seer.

"I knew you'd be coming back to town." The seer let a strained smile formed on his black lips. I was taken back but followed him into his little living area. No matter where you lived, if you were Viking you would never doubt or cross the seer. "You have a question child."

"The same that many have. What greatness does the future have in store for me?" I asked him eyeing the seer up and down as he let out a hollow laugh.

"I can only see what the God's allow me to see. And all they allow me to see is a river of death. You will lose yourself to the beast inside your soul that will scorn you as it scorned your father, that beast will take over your whole being until there is nothing of the child I see before me." The seer informed me. I felt my mouth dry as he confessed the future of me. I knew he skipped the important details. Cryptic until the end. But as he mentioned my father, I found myself growing curious with longing. All I ever knew about him was the story of his violent strike upon my mother in the silence of the night and how he left her with child and almost soaked in blood.

"Who is my father?" I whispered meeting his gaze.

"That is an answer neither your mother or you are ready to face." He croaked out and all I could do was nod and respect his wishes. As I got up ready to leave I paused feeling as though he wanted to say something. "Be careful of the dangerous road ahead of you, your fate can change in the flash of a light if the Gods will it. And I hope they do young Hillevi." He whispered making my whole body stiffen tightly. The seer rarely ever said anything so worrisome. If he wanted my fate to change I must have really been capable of something dark and twisted. I stalked out and as I did my eyes landed on the old friend of mine. Despite the fact it was 10 years later, I would still tell who Ubbe was from miles away. Ubbe who was walking up to me with the biggest grin on his face I had ever seen. As he finally made it to me his hands roughly gripped my face before he let out a howl of laughter pulling me into a hug and I leaned into the tight embrace. Ubbe grew up good I noticed as I pulled away glancing him over.

"You have gotten big." Ubbe commented walking with me.

"Seems I am not the only one." I retorted patting his stomach making Ubbe lean back in fits of laughter throwing his arm around me.

"Be careful Hillevi, no man marries a girl with a sharp tongue." Ubbe scolded me making me roll my eyes.

"Good thing I do not pride myself on sculpting myself to become a suitable wife. I am a warrior." I pointed out making Ubbe nod in acknowledgement.