Chapter 21:"But was she really alone?"

SEASON 5 Episode 1-3

Hillevi stood there almost motionless as her eyes gazed down at the boat where Sigurd laid. She hadn't been close with Sigurd in his time alive but the two had a certain fondness of each other. The silence passing over everyone, she couldn't help but look up, her gaze meeting Ivar's pitiful ones as rage filled her chest. Drawing in a deep breath she looked away to gaze over at Bjorn. There was something about him that her mother somehow found endearing. She had loved him more fiercely than any other. She remembered the only time her mother truly had a smile was in the presence of Bjorn. Turning away Hillevi walked through the crowd finding herself at the edge of the stream. As she sat down her mother's lifeless body, the image flashed through her mind. Tormenting her. Hearing someone sit beside her, Hillevi saw Ubbe. Kind and thoughtful Ubbe. "I am sorry for your mother, but I am sure she is resting comfortably in Valhalla." Ubbe assured her making Hillevi nod slowly a quirk of her lips curled up.

"I'm sure she is. Why have you come Ubbe? You have no obligation to care for me." Hillevi pointed out her eyes cold as she met Ubbe's blue eyes, soft and kind enough to seethe through the barriers she had built to keep anyone away.

"I have known you since you were a child Hillevi, this performance you show, it is not who you ae and I know it." Ubbe pointed out.

"Who are you to talk? You never lost anyone you knew and loved your whole life. Your mother was neglectful and your father couldn't have done worse." Hillevi sneered pushing herself up and storming off and into the tent where she poured herself some ale taking a sip as she sat on one of the chairs. Ubbe stalked in after her his eyes cold as they set on her and he took his seat. Not long after Bjorn came into the tent where the silence was then broken.

"I know what you're all thinking." Ivar started looking to Hvitserk with guilt and self-loathing apparent in his gaze. "And it is not true. I didn't mean to kill him." Ivar tried but Hillevi's gaze snapped to him knowing it wasn't her place to speak out about this. Although she was raised with the sons of Ragnar by his wide Aslaug, she was never one of the. How could she, she was the daughter of Uffe and Eerika. "He made me kill him." Ivar began and Hillevi glanced over seeing Bjorn shake his head at his youngest brother. "He taunted me he made fun of me, what was I supposed to do?" Ivar questioned.

"Take it like a man?" Hillevi suggested her voice dead serious as she met his gaze and she head Hvitserk look at her with a small smirk before eyeing Ivar who seemed to draw in a deep breath trying to control his anger.

"What kind of man taunts and tells lies about his own brother?" Ivar demanded to know.

"What lies did he tell?" Hvitserk asked.

"You know as well as I, Hvitserk." Ivar commented coldly.

"He said that you weren't a real man." Ubbe shared making Ivar sharply inhale leaning over. Hillevi watched him carefully knowing Ivar was on the verge of doing something he'd never be able to come back from. She'd seen it in many men. How they let their anger control who they were.

"And what would you have done Ubbe? And what would you have done if you were a real man?" Ivar questioned trying to control himself as Ubbe took a sip of his drink. "I swear to the gods and everything that is scared that I never meant to kill him." Ivar promised and her gaze cut up to meet his.

"Then what were you trying to do with that axe?" Hillevi muttered raising an eyebrow at him.

"I wasn't trying to kill him." Ivar muttered drawing in another deep breath. "Anger overcame me. And I wasn't thinking. I am truly sorry." Ivar apologised but a moment of silence began and Ivar then began to crawl out as no one had said anything. Once he was gone Ubbe stalked forward taking Ivar's seat.