Chapter 22:"but the Gods loved her more than anyone."

Hillevi was laying on the boat, her blue eyes gazing up at the sky as the boat rocked. They'd been going for days now and she had just decided in that moment she wasn't a fan of boats, the novelty had worn off quickly. Pushing herself up she moved the dark black cloak away from her arms pushing the hood over her head as she waited patiently. Turning her head she began to see dry land. "The pillars of Hercules!" Sinric called out as Hillevi glanced over at him distrustfully. "Those mountains known to the ancients as the Pillars of Hercules to our purpose they mark the entrance to the Mediterranean."

"How fortunate I was to run into you Sinric." Bjorn half smiled gazing upon the mountains. Hillevi glanced at Sinric with a frown as Bjorn and Halfdan walked forward. Taking out her dagger she slammed it into the boat gazing upon Sinric with a cold smirk.

"You wouldn't be deceiving Bjorn would you?" Hillevi asked cocking her head to the side waiting for an answer. Sinric's eyes grew wide as he looked applauded at the very notion of that question.

"Of course not" He called out and Hillevi gripped the dagger yanking it out of the wood making her way up to Sinric not taking her gaze away from his.

"Good" She whispered leaning in. "Because if I find out you have, there won't be seas large enough to keep you from me, not even the Gods themselves could spare you from my wrath." Hillevi muttered slowly before grinning and slapping both her hands on his shoulders her blue eyes shining with threats her demeanour said otherwise. "Good" She smiled before turning away her face falling into a frown, stalking towards Bjorn and Halfdan with Sinric.

"My father would have relished this opportunity." Bjorn shared looking out onto the sea.

"He will be watching smiling down upon us as he sups with the Gods." Hillevi muttered watching the almost cloudless sky.

"I would still urge caution about these lands and people they will not know who you are and in turn you do not know how strong anyone is in this new world." Sinric warned him loudly turning to Hillevi who hadn't taken her eyes off him for a single moment as Bjorn let out a sigh.

"I want to go to Rome, Rome is at the centre of the map, Rome is at the centre of the new world." Bjorn shared his wishes but Sinric shook his head.

"Not anymore Bjorn Ironside since this map was drawn the whole world has changed. The Roman Empire is no more. It's power is mostly gone, what is left is just a sad shadow of its former glory." Sinric called out in warning.

"Then if not Rome then where?" Bjorn demanded to know holding on tightly to the rope looking over at Sinric.

"There is an island not so far away it is an interesting place." Sinric shared as Halfdan leaned over to him.

"And what do they call this interesting island?" Halfdan inquired in a low voice.

"Sicily" He answered quickly. Hillevi frowned deeply cracking her neck as she looked out into the distance watching the sea. Hillevi might have hated the boats they travelled on but she'd always loved the sea. She remembered when she was a child her mother had a small cottage near the sea, she remembered loving to swim in the waters. She caught the moments of clarity missing her mother but she wouldn't let it control her. She was reinventing herself, no more pain, no more anger at herself. This was a new page in her saga. Once night fell she sat on the ledge her eyes gazing up at the stars. "The Ruler is a Byzantine called Euphemius his ambitions are so limitless that he attempted to overthrow the holy Roman Emperor."

"I take it from the way you talk of him, that he failed in his ambitions?" Hillevi inquired glancing over at Sinric as she played with her dagger.