Chapter 20: "Do you fear death Hvitserk?"

After they had killed Aelle they moved to their boats again. Ready for the real battle. Their victory was easily won, too easy. Eerika sat against the edge as her brown eyes gazed England. Once again she felt death looming over her head. As she did, she knew her time was running short. Turning her gaze away from the water she looked up to see Uffe standing on his boat, she followed his line of gaze to Hillevi. Eerika pursed her lips, she had tried her best, put a sea between them, just so Hillevi would never know her father. She knew Uffe, she knew him too well. He would manipulate Hillevi into becoming the worse version of herself. Hillevi was already on her way to becoming a monster. A beast. She would turn rabid and berserk.

Eerika kept her eyes on Hillevi who was sharpening her sword, ready to attack at any given moment. Her blue eyes stone cold and her face without the smile Eerika remembered. Hillevi sat keeping her eyes on the wooden boards of the boat, sharpening her tools for murder. She'd wondered why she felt hollow, she wished to ask her mother if she felt this way when they came to battle, but knew she couldn't talk to her mother. It would do no good to either of them. Once they had found a place to set up camp, all of them were off setting up. Hvitserk walked over to Hillevi who noticed Uffe was already about to walk up to her. "Here" Hvitserk offered her a cloak and Hillevi took it putting it on and putting the hood up as she felt the chill take her over, her eyes then set on the man who was looking at her as if she was a piece of lamb. Hvitserk followed her gaze with a frown. "Who is he?"

"I don't know. He said he knew my mother when he was young." Hillevi replied sternly.

"You think he is your father?" Hvitserk asked but Hillevi felt nothing good when she talked to him before.

"It doesn't matter if he is." Hillevi replied and Hvitserk nodded wrapping an arm around her waist and walking over to his brothers. Once they made it over to his brothers Hillevi curled up next to Hvitserk tiredly, her war paint and blood still washed over her face. Eerika took watch of her tired face as she sat next to Bjorn.

"It seems to me that the Saxon are like frightened women they are afraid. I don't think that they can truly topple us." Ivar cockily regarded throwing something into his mouth.

"You don't know enough Ivar, you haven't seen enough." Bjorn called out as Eerika smirked.

"Give him some credit; he's not doing bad for his first time." Eerika commented as Floki handed her a drink.

"But he does not believe he should learn from the more experienced." Bjorn argued making Eerika just roll her eyes as she got up walking over to sit with Floki. "These are brave men. I have fought against them, you haven't."

"Hello my friend." She nodded to him taking a sip of her drink.

"Got sick of the little piggies grunting?" Floki asked with a small laugh.

"It does get very tiresome. I think the only reason Hillevi has not moved is because she is startled by her first war." Eerika pointed out.

"That or she just liked the company." Floki pointed out with a cheeky chuckle which Eerika laughed easily with.

"I worry for her safety." Eerika shared with him.

"The Gods will not take her, it is not her time." Floki shook his head glancing worriedly at his friend. "But it is your time; you will get to be one of the first who will join Ragnar in Valhalla. Say hello to him for me." Floki urged with a grin.

"I will, only for you Floki." Eerika smiled.

"And I will miss you in battle." Floki shared with her.