Chapter 8:"your safety is not guaranteed."

Eerika stood in the hall with her daughter, a drink in her hand as she clapped and cheered on for the Yule. "People, may the Yule log burn throughout Yol, and bring it's warmth and light to us in these darkest of days. And to King Ragnar and his family, may they feel the warmth of the fire, like the love of the people!" Eerika cheered after them taking a sip of her drink watching the festivities. Soon Hillevi retreated from her side and Eerika held onto a man's hand as she cheerfully and drunkenly danced around howling with laughter. Once night fell Eerika and Hillevi wondered home in the dark, no horses to carry them back.

"Mother, will you take me to Paris?" Hillevi asked as Eerika let out a loud cackle as they finally stumbled onto the sand and into their house. Once they made it Eerika poured herself a drink from the bucket of ale and sat on the sand with her daughter pouring her, her own drink. She watched with a frown as she saw her daughter take her first drink of ale and chuckled as Hillevi scrunched her face up in disgust.

"I will not take you to Paris." Eerika shared knocking back her drink before pouring another one.

"Why not? King Ragnar will take Ubbe and Hvitserk. Why not take me?" Hillevi demanded and Eerika couldn't help but laugh at her daughter.

"You are not the Kings sons, your safety is not guaranteed. Besides you are not so great of a fighter." Eerika pointed out as Hillevi pouted.

"I am a better fighter than Hvitserk." Hillevi shouted.

"I know but war is no place for a child and you still are a child Hillevi. Now let your mother get some sleep." Eerika whispered falling asleep next to Hillevi on the sand. The next night she walked with the men, women and children holding fire as they marched together. Hillevi walked with the Sons of Ragnar and Eerika let a smirk twist on her face as she got splattered with blood as she walked past. Standing still she watched as Ragnar burnt the wood and smirked as he did so. They all began chanting as her eyes gazed up to see the floating embers dance across the sky. When the next night came she laughed with everyone, cheered with many laughing drunkenly.

"Let's play hnefatafl! Huh?" The King Finhair cheered and Eerika sat not so far away and cheered with him.

"Hillevi and I will get the board." Hvitserk called out running off with her and Eerika chuckled lazily sitting next to Aslaug.

"Get the board we're playing hnefatafl" Finhair cheered holding his hands out causing the crowd to cheer loudly and Eerika among them much more drunken than any nights before. The two children appeared. "I'll play the king." King Harald Finhair laughed.

"How appropriate." Eerika drawled out teasingly. Hillevi sat with Hvitserk and Ubbe as they began to play and Hillevi watched in wonder as the man began. Aslaug then walked up.

"I am going to ask you once more why have you really come here?" Aslaug demanded to know sitting on her throne.

"I made someone a promise." Harald informed Aslaug.

"Who?" Aslaug demanded to know.

"A girl" He replied and Hillevi let a cheeky grin form on her lips as she nudged Hvitserk.

"I bet he is in love." Hillevi drawled out giggling and Hvitserk laughed lightly while Ubbe just rolled his eyes at the two children. "Love is gross." Harald just laughed watching the young girl.

"I will remember that when you get married to someone you love Princess." Harald assumed before Aslaug just shook her head.

"She is not my daughter, she is a friend of my sons." Aslaug informed him.

"Then I will remember when you marry one of them." Harald rebuffed making Hillevi fake sick.

"I would never marry any of them." Hillevi stuck her nose up with a grin.

"I made a promise to a Princess, I wished to marry her but she turned me down. Be smarter." Harald offered as Ubbe made a wrong move and Ubbe slapped Hillevi's hands away as she tried to suggest a move.

"Why did she turn you down?" Aslaug asked.

"I wasn't important enough, she had other offers." Harald informed Aslaug as he made his move and Hillevi moves whispering a move in Hvitserk's ear and he moved carrying it on to Ubbe.

"Why didn't you just take her?" Aslaug asked.

"That is a good question Queen Aslaug but I don't know." He admitted. "I liked her spirit, I had decided to be worthy of her." Harald then leaned over rubbing Hvitserk's head as he lost and Hillevi burst out laughing. "Back luck."

"Are you stupid 'Serk?" Hillevi teasingly asked punching his shoulder.

"Let's see you play any better." Hvitserk groaned.

"I would but you never let me." Hillevi pointed out with a grin.

"How could you do that?" Aslaug asked.

"By making myself King of all Norway, then she would marry me for sure." Harald cheered howling with laughter himself. Eerika turned away from the man she was with as everyone went quiet. Her eyes settled on Bjorn who had just walked into the room, rapped in animal skin with a dangerous look appearing across his once kind features.

"But in order to become King of all Norway you would have to overthrow my husband." Aslaug pointed out.

"His king he's dead." Ubbe cheered having won the game and Hillevi leaned closer.

"Ubbe, you should play with Hvitserk and I." Hillevi complained leaning on Hvitserk.

"You lose." Ubbe rubbed in Harald's face.

"Good game boys, good game." Harald smiled.

"Well looks who's back alive." Ragnar commented before he and the woman he was with turned to Ragnar and his eyes went wide seeing the girl. "And well." His gaze then settled on Harald before walking forward to the man threateningly. "And you are?" Eerika didn't mind them as her gaze was on the woman Bjorn was with. He turned to Eerika meeting her gaze yet, saying nothing to her. He didn't need to. She understood him perfectly.