Chapter 17: "brave the ends of the world together"

The time she'd spent on the boat, seemed to blur into one. The same men and women, the same small portion of food. The turns they took rowing the boat. Eerika could barely contain her boredom. She itched to move, she struggled to stay still. A longing stirred in her heart to feel the grass between her fingertips, to feel the dirt her feet crashed against, to ride on the back of a horse so fast that the wind soared through her hair making her hair float, to feel so free she almost didn't mind the bugs flying near her face. She longed to feel free and still. But was reminded as she sat on the boat, the supplies running low, that she would not be able to enjoy those activities any time soon. Every time she saw Hvitserk, she was reminded of her daughter, and every time she saw Bjorn, she was reminded of her sweet simple son. She'd made the mistake of leaving Hillevi so many times in the past. But up until a while ago, she hadn't ever left her son Einar. And for that, she knew that he would love her much more than Hillevi ever could.

Eerika was just glad Torvi took her son in. She knew Hillevi could look after herself, she always had been able to. She just wished to turn back time so she could raise her daughter different instead of forcing her to become a weapon. Eerika wished her daughter to be happy, to be in love but from her more cynical times, she'd warned her daughter off such trivial things. Eerika kept her eyes on Bjorn with a bittersweet ring to it.

"How do you know Bjorn?" Hvitserk asked making Eerika glanced at him out of her trance.

"I used to be his lover. He asked for my hand in marriage, after Paris...but I said no." Eerika informed him with a small whisper. "Before that I was being trained my Lagertha, I came to Kattegat seeking my daughters future. But I found more."

"Glad you did, Hillevi is quite something." Hvitserk chuckled before he silenced them noticing the look Eerika gave him.

"She is too much like me, she would never choose love. Not for anyone." Eerika shared with him, a frown taking over her lips.

"Maybe she will." Hvitserk shrugged.

"Or maybe you just wish to bed her." Eerika suggested.

"I think Ubbe wishes to do that more than I ever would. She's been my friend my whole life. I promised on my arm ring I would always be there for her." Hvitserk pointed out.

"I remember you as children. You never left her side if you had a say in it. Do you love my daughter?" Eerika asked softly, as her eyes turned gazing at Hvitserk who licked his lips as if he was contemplating if maybe he did.

"She is my friend, of course I love her." Hvitserk answered with a small huff of a laugh and Eerika shook her head.

"You might not realise it. No one ever does in the beginning. But the way you love know you truly love someone is all in the eyes. It's how they look at you, how they protect you and love everything you love. I've never known you to do anything other than love my daughter Hvitserk. Maybe that's just because I was only ever around you when you were with her but...I hope you realise it soon. When I die, Hillevi will need you to fight for her more than you ever have before. She may not want to realise it but she loves me. And if I were to die, she would become the monster she fights every day to not become." Eerika whispered as her eyes stayed on Bjorn. Hvitserk just looked at her as if he seemed lost. Eerika ignored it and got up making her way over to Bjorn and she rested a hand on his arm causing him to look down at her. He then turned keeping his eyes on the map as if he was worried. "We will make it." Eerika tried to comfort Bjorn who glanced over at her nodding with a frown.

"What if the gods aren't on my side like they were on my fathers?" Bjorn asked sternly.

"We'll brave the ends of the world together Bjorn. But I believe that you shouldn't give up on the Gods fate for you." Eerika shared with him a small chuckle escaped her lips.

Wrath Of The GodsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara