His Sister, At The Funeral

The funeral arrangements had all been made and the viewing was scheduled for today. I hadn't seen Ciel this morning and come to think of it I hadn't seen Sebastian anywhere either. I was still a little confused about the events that had went down that night, a few days ago.

I walked over and opened up my closet. Most of my dresses weren't suited for funerals, they were mostly bright colors. I dug into the back, trying to find one when my fingers scraped across something soft. I could tell that it was new and never warn before, since the fabric was so nice. I quickly grabbed it and pulled out a black and blue dress with dark purple accents.

It was the dress that my mother had specially ordered for me right before she died. I almost cried thinking of the irony. I thought the dress was perfect for a funeral, not only was it dark enough but it also held value. It was as if I was taking my mother to her sister's funeral.

I slowly slipped into the dress and went to look in the mirror. My hair wasn't done, it was just hanging limply over my shoulders. My makeup wasn't done either, instead my pale face stood out, mocking me. If it were up to me, I would just go to the church like this. I wasn't one to care much for images, but I needed to look strong. I could tell that something was missing, something important. I then noticed that I had forgotten an essential part of this whole outfit, my mothers necklace. I picked up the beautiful sapphire and clasped it around my neck. It was a perfect match.

May-rin came in a little while later and fixed my hair so that it didn't look so lifeless. She also offered to do my makeup, which I politely declined. I didn't need anything special today, so I just settled for a little blush. When I was finished getting ready I walked out to the garden, seeing as I still had a good amount of time until we had to leave.

I walked over and sat down on one of the benches that we had out here. My eyes aimlessly wondered around the bright horizon. I noticed that the clouds in the sky weren't grey, but a fluffy white. And the sky wasn't somber, it was bright and blue. The sun was over head smiling down at the world, but I couldn't find it in myself to embrace it. It was like I was cold, numb. I sat on the bench for a few minutes, before my eyes landed on a rose bush.

Ciel's favorite were the white ones, the symbol of purity, I thought it was fitting. Me personally, I preferred the red. It was quite ironic actually, the reason that I liked them. I liked them simply because red roses were the symbol of love. Now, they stand for death. Every time someone died, they were covered in red. I didn't understand how someone could honestly say that red was the color of passionate love.

I walked over the the bush and stared at it, something was amiss. All of the roses had been clipped off, all but the stems. There was only one, lone, rose left. I didn't have gloves on, nor did I have any garden clippers, but I didn't care. I reached out and attempted to pull the last remaining rose from the plant. My fingers slipped, and the wicked thorn pricked me. I watched as a single drop of blood flowed down from my pale fingers, down my wrist, past my elbow, and finally dripped onto the grass, leaving a light pink trail as it went.

"Lady, Jayne?" I heard a strangely familiar voice ask from behind me. I just couldn't place where I had heard that deep voice before, but he obviously knew who I was. I turned around slowly and was suddenly face to chest with Henri. The Hiltch's family butler.

"Henri? What are you doing here?" I asked confused. I self-consciously hid my bloody arm behind my back.

"Didn't Mister Sebastian tell you? We are here to escort you to the funeral."

"We?"

"Yes, the young mistress', Coraline and Caroline. Along with Lord and Lady Hiltch."

"But wait, where's Ciel and Sebastian? Aren't they coming?" I asked worried.