I

It was two thirty a.m. on the thirdteeth of January 2017, the exact time of her birth. Eva had created her own tradition since she was eight, to celebrate her birthday the exact time of her birth. She was weird in that way, but she thought of it as unique and creative. She was sat on her study chair staring at the flickering light the small candle held. She was on a healthy buzz as of late, so she had the candle sticking out the top of an apple that was covered in sprinkles. It was how they celebrated in her kindy-garden when she was child. 

Eva sat there pondering on what her birthday wish would be for this year. It was an important year for her, so she was taking extra care of what she would wish for. She knew that wishing on a candle was childish, but she never cared. It gave her hope and happiness even if it never came true. Though she is growing older, she still feels like the young girl who would sit on the swing whilst her dad would push her. 

Eva took in a deep breath and slowly exhaled out her nose, causing the candle light to flicker a little more. She had finally decided her wish for this year, she closed her eyes and whisper softly to herself and the birthday wish givers.

"I wish to find challenges and adventures that will help me grow into the person I wish to be, to find love and happiness but also to be humble and compassionate to those in need." Eva opened her eyes and sighed softly hoping her wish would come true. She knew you were only given one wish as the tradition says, but she couldn't help but ask for more. She blew out the candle in one swift blow, leaving her in darkness. She climbed into bed, excited to see what the year would bring. 

.................................................................

Eva slowly opened her eyes rays of sun light were streaming in through the blinds, a beautiful day she thought. She lay in bed for a while longer, until she felt something watching her. Eva slowly turned her head around only to come to face a deep set of ocean blue eyes. She gasped in shock at the intruder, but he was quick to cover her mouth before she could scream. She tried to pry his hand away but she felt a sharp blade at her throat.

The man who held her captive started speaking some strange language she couldn't recognize, when she didn't reply he started to shake her and his voice started to rise. She was scared and could feel herself hyperventilating. The last thing that she noticed in her panic state was how odd his clothing was, he was wearing Armour and the rest of him was covered in dirt, and his legs were skinny and held together by leather belts. 'I'm dead' was her last thought as she faded into darkness. 

.......................................................................

Eva woke with a start, she laid in bed thinking of how strange her dream was when she heard a deep foreign accent speak.

"Be calm,' It said, 'I will spare you your life.If you will help me."

Eva slowly turned to face the strange man who was in her room. He was staring at the sharp blade of his axe, then slowly moved his eyes to hers. His eyes were cold that she even shivered a little from how dark they were. She tried not to go into panic again and focused on her breathing. 

'Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out,' she repeated over and over. 

The man she noticed had a big upper body, large arms and a fit center. Though his body wasn't proportional from his waist down, he was unnaturally skinny from his hips down. His hair on top was long and braided, but the sides were shaved close to his head and his side burns were left long. 

Whilst she was trying to control her breathing she was looking for something to help her defend herself around the room. There was nothing that could help her against his ax and large arms. The man could see her eyes searching for a weapon.

"It is of no use," he said, " I will send my ax flying through your skull before you can even blink," he smirked. 

Eva decided to work on steadying her breathing again to distract herself from thinking of her awaiting death. 

"I am 'Ivar the Boneless', Son of Ragnar Lothbrok," he introduced himself proudly, "where am I?"

"I am 'Zena the warrior', Daughter of Luke Sorenson," she replied as calmly as she could. "You are in New Zealand, Ivar the boneless," she knew she was lying to him but she couldn't help herself. The way he introduced himself was ridiculous. 

"You are a warrior? are you a shield maiden of this place called New Zealand?" he asked seriously. 

Eva looked at Ivar to see if he was being serious, he looked back without a hint of humor in his eyes. She burst out laughing, she couldn't help herself anymore. It was bad enough he was threatening her but talking like hes from before this day and age was just making her laugh. 

Eva stopped laughing when she felt a gush of wind swept passed her face, she turned her head to follow it and found Ivar's ax stuck in her wall. She whipped her head back around to see him seething. Eva got up from her bed and ran to the ax trying to pull it out of the wall. It was no use, she was too weak. Now Ivar laughed at her, though not with much humor.

"And you say you are a warrior, though you can not simply retrieve an ax in wood," he snapped no longer amused. 

Eva was about to scream, when Ivar caught on quickly. "Ah, Ah, Ah, if you scream I will kill all of your family members as they walk in one by one," he smirked. 

She looked at his belt and saw there was another knife, and ax sitting in it. 'What the hell have I done to get myself in this position' She thought 'I could live without my so called family.'

"Okay, Ivar the boneless, son of Ragnor Lothbrok, my real name is Eva," her heart was still beating so loud, she could hardly hear what she was saying herself, "what is it, that you want?"

"How did I get here? I was in Valhalla drinking with the gods, all the ale I could imagine and now I am simply here in this strangle place called New Zealand?" He asked narrowing his ocean blue eyes at Eva.

"Where is Valhalla? And you were drinking with gods? what gods?" Eva asked. 

Eva was finding this more ridiculous with every passing moment, that she was slowly forgetting her nervousness and increasingly becoming frustrated, thinking this was some sort of prank.

"The gods Odin, Thor and Freya. Are you a Christian?" He literally spat on carpet of Eva's floor and gave her the evils.

"Don't spit on my floor, you idiot. You better clean that up after," she snapped. "I am not Christian, I believe in no gods. I am in this world alone, I will go out of this world alone and that is the end of it," she said quietly. 

"Well I have a lot to teach you then, while we work out how I got here," Ivar said more relaxed. "Anyways, tell me how is Kattegat? and who is ruling there now?"

'Kattegat?' Eva screwed up her face at Ivar in confusion.