IX

"Eva, where are you going?" Elaine asked from her sister's bed.

"Going to grab a bite to eat with Joseph and finish his biology assessment off," Eva yelled from the bathroom. 

Eva and Elaine had slowly formed a strong relationship over the last six months. Elaine would have been just about full term by now, but she decided in the end to get the abortion. Much to Eva's disappointment, but she could understand why her sister had done it. Elaine was an irresponsible child, who was not ready to grow up. Not only that but she felt she didn't have the support she needed to raise a child, Eva tried convinced her she would raise the child herself. Elaine wouldn't allow it, she knew Eva had dreams and aspirations and she wasn't going to let her mistakes burden her older sister. 

This experience was life-changing for Elaine, she had grown more mature and more responsible. She wasn't out partying every weekend like she used to, and she was definitely not begging for her parent's attention anymore. Even though no one found out about Elaine's pregnancy and who the father was her parents were ashamed of her and continued to neglect her. Eva felt bad for her even though Elaine had spread rumours about her doing shady stuff for years that wasn't true. 

"Oh, can I come?" Elaine asked.

"No! Elaine go hang out with your own friends," Eva replied.

Now that Elaine wasn't getting special attention from her parents, she was bugging Eva more. She naturally is an attention seeker and wants to be doted on, Eva thought it was okay at first but now she was sick of her little sister following her around.  Eva was happy to finally be on good terms with at least one of her family members, but Elaine was pushing her luck. 

"Whatever," Elaine sighed, "I'll just stay home, with these cold hearted people we call parents and pretend they don't exist on my own." 

"Great, good practice for next year," Eva smiled at Elaine as she walked into her room.  

"You suck!" Elaine retorted, "don't forget to tell Joseph I love him." 

"Wouldn't dream of it." 

.............................................................

"Mmm!" Joseph moaned, his eyes rolling back, "this is soo good! try some Eva!"

Joseph was holding a fork full of poutine out to Eva's mouth. She rolled her eyes and ate off his fork. 

Joseph was grinning at Eva with his brows raised, "Good or what?!" he said excitedly.

Eva bobbed her head in approval while chewing. Joseph went crazy after learning she had never tried poutine before and demanded they go to the local steakhouse immediately so she could try it. When the dish came out she looked at it and told Joseph she could have made that at home. Joseph just told her to shut it and try it. 

"Mmm, I forgot to tell you that Elaine said she loves you," Eva said whilst cutting her steak. 

"Tell her, dido," Joseph said with his mouth full.

"Yuck, close your mouth when your eating." 

"You never said that to Ivar, and he did it at your family table," Joseph pointed out.

"Ugh, why did Elaine tell you that?" Eva sighed, she still felt hurt when talking about Ivar. She was scared that he had disappeared off the face of the earth just as he appeared. She had been waiting for months for him to return but he never did. She wasn't happy on the terms they had left things and wanted to make up for it. She hasn't had the chance because Ivar never came back and she hadn't seen him anywhere.