XIV

The ball was everything Eva had hoped for. She was having a great time dancing the night away with the people she loved, taking an endless amount of photos and eating good food. It was the first time she felt secure and comfortable in her own skin in public, the turning of heads definitely helped. She could care less about what everyone in the room was thinking because the only person's opinion she cared about was one moving around in a wheelchair by her side.

Ivar wasn't sure about the dancing and music that was being played, but the food was great and he made sure not to get food on his fancy clothes. Ivar definitely noticed the male attention Eva had caught, Ivar glared back at the boys who shamelessly stared. Though most of the night Ivar was too lost admiring Eva's beauty to start any trouble.

Ivar was sitting at the table drinking a fruity concoction just watching Eva dance with Elaine and Joseph. He had no idea what kind of dance they were doing but was not ready to join in any time soon. Ivar would never have guessed that Eva could move her body so well to the upbeat music, it was a shocker to everyone. She knew how to swing her hips and move her arms as if she owned the dance floor. The light reflected off her dress, making her sparkle like a star in the night. She was magnificent and she didn't even know it.

The music changed into a slow melodic tune and people started to pair up. Joseph bowed to Elaine in an over-exaggerated manner and Elaine curtsied in reply laughing, Joseph pulled her in close, swinging her around the dance floor in an upbeat salsa fashion of dance, out of rhythm with the slow song. Ivar just laughed at the two having a good time, secretly wishing he wasn't crippled so he could do the same with Eva.

As the music changed Eva was about to make her way to Ivar for a quick break but Avery blocked her path.

"May I have this dance?" he offered his hand.

"Where's Natalie?" she questioned, unsure if she should accept.

"I think she's making out with Tony in the far corner," Avery shrugged.

Eva chuckled and accepted his offer and they slow danced softly to the music.

"You look beautiful tonight, Eva," he smiled.

"You're too kind," she replied, "not too shabby yourself, Avery."

Eva peaked over his shoulder to check on Ivar, he held her gaze as she swayed in Avery's arms. She could see he wasn't upset like she expected but he was definitely holding a good poker face. She winked at him, that caused him to break his facade and smirk at her in reply winking right back.

"I think my pride has been hurt that I got rejected for a giant in a wheelchair," Avery smiled, "but none the less, he's a lucky guy."

Eva looked up at that and laughed, "It's better to be on his good side, trust me Joseph can testify to that."

"I'm willing to take a chance. Date. Next Friday. I'll pick you up at six," a hopeful smile gracing his lips.

"I'd love to really Avery, but I have to be brutally honest and say that I'm not really interested in dating anyone. A few months we will all graduate and probably never see each other again."

"You never know,"

"Fine, I'll agree on one condition, that it's strictly friendly only."

"No deal."

"I may also be interested in a crippled giant I chose over you already."

"Deal."

Avery didn't want to force her hand if she was actually into someone else, crippled or not. Friends he could do. Instead of things going awkward like Eva expected they both laughed and continued like nothing had happened. Joseph then came and literally ripped Eva from Avery's grasp as he pushed Elaine into his arms. Elaine flushed red but shamelessly held onto Avery in a vice-like grip, and made a stocked face at Eva, suppressing herself from squealing.