XXII

"AAAAAHHHHHH!"

Eva exhaled deeply before she sat up in bed, opened her tired eyes and turned on the lamp. She then turned over to shake Elaine softly awake. Elaine's sobbing form instantly recoiled from her touch but Eva continued to shake her more firmly, Elaine's eyelids suddenly flew open and she started to dry heave. Eva rubbed her back as she sat up and cried more "Shhh... it was just a dream, you're safe, it was just a dream."

Elaine was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder since she was kidnapped in Norway, this had become a routine thing at night. Eva pitied her younger sister, she couldn't imagine the feeling of being kidnapped and feeling helpless. Ivar on the other hand and disagreed and told Elaine she was weak and that she should be grateful because she went untouched, that others had it worse. Elaine replied with her own insults while Eva told them to both shut up.

Ivar now awake sat up and looked at Eva's tired face, he was still sleeping on his makeshift bed on her floor. He rubbed a hand over face before he looked back over to the two sisters, this time when he did hazel eyes were already set on his. He sent her a small smile which she returned, he then looked at Elaine who had calmed down and rolled his eyes, to which Eva just sighed.

Ivar hated that Elaine had moved her mellow dramatic ass into Eva's bed. Bedtime was his quality time with his Eva and Elaine had disturbed it. Eva knew how he felt but she was more worried about Elaine and if she would ever recover from her PTSD. Once Elaine had gone to sleep again Eva looked over at Ivar, who had also laid back down in bed.

Eva couldn't help but love his peaceful face as he slept, she couldn't believe such a handsome brute could put up with her. As she stared Ivar could feel her burning gaze on his face, without opening his eyes he moved the blanket and patted the empty space on the bed next to him. Eva couldn't help the lifting of her cheeks as she left her bed for his.

Snuggled into his chest as he wrapped a large arm around her petite body. She looked up at his handsome face through her lashes.

"Hi" she whispered.

"Hi" he replied, eyelids still closed.

Eva just smiled in response and closed her own eyes, relaxing into the comfort he was offering. Ivar kissed her head, loving the feeling of her in his arms.

"Your birthday is in two days" he broke the silence.

Eva opened her eyes a peered at his face in amusement, he was smiling down at her eyes wide open.

"You remember?" surprise evident in her voice.

"Of course, Love" he smiled "How can I forget when Freya keeps on reminding me."

"She visited you again?"

"She did, and she said it was the last time she would disrupt my dreams of you"

Eva chuckled at that, "What did she say this time?"

Ivar sighed, his eyes softening a little, "I have lived your way of life, would you like to experience the Viking way of life?"

Eva tilted her head, she knew Ivar deliberately dodged her question but let him off this time, "Sure, I would love to be a shieldmaiden if but for one day."

"Sleep my love, for tomorrow you will truly be mine" he grinned.

<><><><><><><>

"What are we doing here?" Eva sighed.

"Do you ever shut up?" Joseph retorted "Stop being a brat, you'll see Ivar soon enough alright. You're lucky, you get to see your man every damn day, I haven't heard from my girlfriend in a week!"