VII

It was dead silent.

Everyone was starring at Ivar, but no one said a word.

Just as Mr Sorenson was about to say something Eva spoke first.

"Actually, I don't believe I've met you before ?!" Eva trying to subtly gesture with her head to quit whatever he had planned.

That caused her family to scrunch their face up in more confusion.

Ivar patted his right pocket, signalling to Eva that if she didn't stop his knife, she knew he was hiding was going to come out to play. He winked and carried on his charade.

"Oh Eva, precious Eva it is time you stop hiding me from your family," Ivar said nonchalantly.

"I can see why she did," Elaine muttered

Ivar was quick to react "Why Eva, why didn't you tell me you had an ugly stepsister?"

"Whatever, handicap," Elaine glared at Ivar, then at Eva.

Eva was over it, she just wanted to eat then sleep. There was no way she could control Ivar, and if her family didn't conform to Ivar there was going to be a bloodbath.

"How rude, I didn't get your names?" Ivar smiled innocently at her parents as if he didn't insult their youngest child a few seconds ago.

After her parents introduced themselves they politely invited Ivar in for dinner, to Eva's astonishment.

"Well Eva, hurry up dear," Ivar motioned her over with his hand, "Carry me to the table". Ivar loved seeing Eva squirm, he found it funny, to say the least.

"Crawl isn't that why the gods blessed you with arms," her voice full of sarcasm.

Eva's family gasped, they had never heard their daughter talk so cruelly before, especially not to a guest. Ivar just laughed and crawled after her, knowing exactly where he was going.

....................................................

Everyone was seated at the table, Eva made sure to sit extra close to Ivar. Elaine across from him and her parents at both ends. Eva couldn't wait to see her families' reaction to Ivars' table manners, but she was very worried about how the conversation at the table will turn out. She knows Ivar only speaks his mind, and boy is her family in for it. Once her father said to "Dig in," Ivar literally did. He beelined for the chicken and tore off a leg munching on it with his mouth open.

Her mum and Elaine looked disgusted, her father was definitely not pleased but hid it as well as he could.

"So Ivar, tell us about yourself," Eva's her father asked.

"Well, I am 'Ivar the boneless' son of the famous Ragnar Lothbrok, King of Kattegat," Ivar said between mouthfuls.

Eva just carried on eating like nothing was wrong, minding her own business.

Eva's parents looked at each other with the same concerned look. Elaine just rolled her eyes, Eva was just happy no one had watched Vikings on Netflix otherwise they would have laughed and said he was crazy.

"So you are a prince?" her father said not convinced

"Yes, but I do not care for that title," Ivar said as he piled roasted potatoes on his plate.

"My people are proud Vikings, my father one of the most famous on earth," his voice full of confidence.

Eva could feel her father staring at her, but she ignored it, keeping her eyes on the table.

"Do you have any ale or mead?" Ivar asked after he burped.

Though Ivar was digging Eva's grave deeper and deeper as time ticked on, she hadn't enjoyed a family dinner like this in a long time. Ivars' presence seems to make her feel a little more grounded than usual.