IV

It had been a total of two weeks since Ivar had arrived and both of them were close to killing each other. She had learnt that Ivar though was an old man, had come to her at the age of 18. He couldn't remember he had a son and gaining all the fame he had, but his eighteen-year-old self-said that he always knew it was to happen. They still had no clue as to why he was sent to Eva and Ivar was not conforming well to the laid back life of modern teenagers. He was a Viking after all, who was always on the move doing something productive, whether it be making weapons, planning for raids or killing people. Eva was quite frankly unhappy to be on babysitting duties all summer, she just wanted to relax and be left in her own peace and quiet. There was no chance of that happening with Ivar constantly moaning and complaining about how boring and lazy her life style was. She had tried to explain many times that in this day and age that was what teenagers do, they do whatever they want without the need to do heavy labour to get by in life. 

"You are idle," he would say as she sat by the window happily losing herself in a book.

"Do some work," He barked she tried to binge watch a Netflix series.

 "Watching the magic box all day is of no worth and will bring no honour."

"You will get fat," Ivar would say as he snapped her new laptop screen shut, "you must exercise every day."

Eva being the doormat she was would, of course, conform to his will. She was learning a lot of self-defence from him and found it was enjoyable at times. But she felt like it was never good enough for Ivar, and she was starting to feel like his presence was a nuisance. If Eva wanted to know how much of a disappointment she was, she would spend more time with her family instead of locked up in her room. Ivar had no filter and would constantly speak his thoughts out loud, which was starting to piss her off. 

When she tried to ignore him and continue to do what she wanted, he would do things to annoy her, like throw paper balls at her. He flipped her a couple times and tried to wrestle her but just ended up flattening her with his weight. And more times then she could count he would trip around the house or try to leave the property while her family was home. It was all becoming too much for Eva and she was soon about to burst out in frustration. 

"You can't crawl everywhere, people will stare and judge me because I'm not taking care of you," Eva stressed. 

Ivar was currently taking his frustration out on sparrows and other birds that unluckily landed on her family property. He had been teaching Eva a few things with the axe and the sword just to waste time. 

"I am not a child, I do not need to be pushed in a wheel-chair like a baby," Ivar was searching the yard for a bird. 

"I don't care if it makes you feel less like a man to be in a wheelchair," she was so fed up with his stubbornness.

"Get me a chariot and a mare or stallion." 

"I already told you, it's not happening!"

"Then I will crawl. Simple."

"Argh! Bloody annoying crippled!" she muttered under her breath.

Eva then heard the sound of clothes ripping and a weapon impaled into a sparrow hanging off an oak tree. She looked down at her t-shirt that now had a large slit showing her mid-stomach, Eva was pissed now, that was her favourite stripped shirt.

"Eva," If looks could kill, Ivar would be dead with the look she was giving him.

 "Ivar always gets what he wants," he said smugly

They both knew he was right and she hated it.

Eva was so sick of Ivar, she had enough of trying to be a good host. She was fed up with trying to please people and being nice. She was learning fast with Ivar that it got her nowhere. "I'm just trying to freaking help your crippled ass, and you can't freaking co-operate," she muttered under her breath. Eva's breathing was becoming more deep and rapid, she had never felt such rage before.

All of Eva's pent-up anger of being pushed around over the years had finally busted through the seams with Ivar, and she felt she had lost the plot. Eva grabbed the first thing she saw, which so happened to be a rake. She grabbed the rake firmly with both hands. Walked behind him and lifted her arms back over her right shoulder. Then with all her strength, she smacked it into his large back.

SMACK!

Ivar was still as a statue, didn't even move an inch. That made her madder. She threw a few more swings at his back until the adrenaline slowly left her bloodstream and she became tired.

When Ivar felt she was finished then he finally looked over his right shoulder to Eva with a glare she was all too familiar with. 

"Are you done?" he yelled breaking the silence.

Eva threw the rake on the ground.

Turned around and started walking into the house, at the door she flipped him the bird over her shoulder before slamming it shut. 

...........................................................................

Two hours later, Eva woke up to find Ivar watching her sleep. She knew she looked like a mess because she had fallen asleep crying. Only a few times in her life she could remember being so angry that she would cry, she couldn't fully understand why tears, but couldn't stop them. 

"I'm not sorry" she whispered.

"I am sorry," Ivar said with a gentle smile.

This was not the reaction she was expecting from the most ruthless Viking of all time. Maybe she had softened him up a little, just like how he pushed her to madness a little.

"How is your back?" Eva said as she started to move closer, trying to lift his shirt to check her war markings.

"If you wanted my shirt off, all you had to do was ask," Eva was shocked that he was trying to make her feel better instead of threatening her like usual. 

"Pervert," she muttered.

"Only for you sweetness," he winked.

To Eva's shock, there were no signs of bruising or welts on his back. Just pure muscle. 

"We need to work on your arms," Ivar said grabbing for her right wrist.

He clamped his other hand around her bicep and squeezed down on her muscle, "They are weak," he smirked.

"Douche bag," Eva muttered.