XIX

Nick and Avery found there was an abandoned warehouse on the outskirts of the city, they had followed the white van with tinted windows that Ivar had seen the day before. 

The warehouse definitely looked abandoned, but they were sure there were security camera's on the outside. Inside Nick was certain that they had rooms filled with woman and children and even men they were trafficking. 

In Ivar's day, it was normal to sell and buy slaves but not free people. But he learnt that just about everything since the eighth century had changed. And of course, his friend was about to be sold to be a sex slave. Not exactly the ideal job for Joseph since he was gay Ivar had thought and Elaine, well he thought it was the perfect job for her to warm a man's bed given her reputation of being a whore. 

None the less, he was with Nick scoping out the weak points of the warehouse to save them. 

"Are you sure about this?" Nick was doubtful

"You do not have to kill anyone if you do not want to," Ivar patted his shoulder. "But just making sure you do not get killed, I do not want to drag your dead weight back." 

Nick shook his head, in unbelief. He couldn't believe that he could die at the young age of twenty-four, for people he only met less than six months ago. But he couldn't deny that he loved them enough and trusted the crazy crippled to go through with this.

He wanted to call the police, but Ivar explained that calling the police will not give those people justice. They would escape with a short sentence and get back out on the street and continue human trafficking. Ivar did not agree with the punishments of this day and age, sitting in a jail cell to rot. He thought it was better to blood eagle and whip them, something more gruesome that will physically and mentally challenge them.

Nick hated the thought of these sick people getting out, so he readily agreed with Ivar. 

"We've been training for this, for months, you are ready Nick," Ivar encouraged. "Odin is watching over us, I can feel the presence of the gods" 

"Maybe, it is a good day to die," Nick replied.

<><><><><><><>

Elaine wouldn't stop blaming herself.

This was all her fault and she took full responsibility. when she had rushed out that night she only intended to get some fresh air to cool off. She was too emotional and wanted to clear her head. She knew she was being a brat and ruining the vacation she wasn't invited to. 

When she got out of the hotel she walked along the road, with out really watching where she was going. She had turned down a dimly lit street but kept on walking without being cautious. 

She then heard footsteps behind her, she quickly spun to find Joseph and sprinted deeper into the dark street. 

"Elaine," he screamed, "Stop running!" 

But she didn't listen, just as Joseph started to chase after her again she was nearing the end of the street where it came up to an intersection. Right before the curve sat a white van, as she neared the van the doors opened and a man jumped out in suspicious black clothing. Elaine thinking nothing of it, kept running towards him, hoping to pass. But Joseph got a bad feeling in his gut, and sprinted. 

"Elaine, watch out!!" Joseph screamed. 

It was too late, Elaine was running too fast, the guy simply waited on the opposite side of the side walk to the van. When Elaine was running in passing, he shoved her into to the van and she landed in the grips of two other men.