Chapter 52: The Major Returns

The group looked into the distance, the long and empty stretch of main road leading to the supercomputer factory. Rays of light illuminated the path but looming shadows of the city towers still made it difficult to make out.

There was definitely a figure in the distance. A figure approaching with a monstrous aura. Ava could feel it. He didn't have much use for scanning energy usage levels aside from during locating certain items during stealth missions, but this time he couldn't help but be curious.

It was as he feared. Sure, the supercomputer was generating a vast amount of energy, Ava too, now that he was still cooling from his limiters being released, was emanating a lot. But the figure in the distance, it was burning bright like the sun. The intensity and power Ava could sense from it was unlike anything her could have ever before imagined. A monster was approaching.

Suddenly, the energy level spiked even higher, enough to give a sharp pang in the head that made him dizzy.

"Ava look out!" Sylvie shouted, she pushed Ava to the ground and followed after him. It was lucky that she did, because in the split second that Ava felt that energy spike, the figure had zoomed towards him at a lightning fast speed, aiming to smash its fist right into Ava's jaw. The power of its dash alone was enough so that, even though the figure missed, the two were thrown back with debris.

Ava lay on the wreckage and looked at the figure, who was standing just a meter past where he was originally standing. It had left a trail of shattered concrete behind it due to the sheer force of its run. It stood there in the attacking position, its fist still out, perfectly still..

"Servs must die." said the figure.

"Sure..." Ava said while standing up, his brow furrowed. He helped Sylvie on her feet, glanced at her, and quickly gestured with his head for her to give him some room. Sylvie nodded in response and ran to the sidelines with Aphrodite and the Class-1."So you're another damn Heretic huh?" he examined the assailant's body as the the smoke from the debris cleared and its figure became more visible. Ava could feel himself tense up, he had a small suspicion of who this Heretic might be.

It had long, sturdy legs, a firm body covered in a gritty black shell, hair that trailed elegantly down its back. A distinctly feminine body with a confident air of authority. It was all so recognisable aside from two features, a crudely made right arm that resembled the Serv replicas, and a black mask that covered its face.

There was no doubt.

It was the Major.

It pained him to see her in this form, the damn virus was unstoppable, it had taken over the most powerful Serv in existence. Someone he respected so much, someone he admired for being the peak of physical and mental perfection as a soldier, she'd been mutated.

Ava would have to defeat her. Somehow.

The Major turned to face Ava.

"Major." Ava stuttered as he tried to think of a way of ending the conflict, "It's me, Ava. You remember me right?" he hoped that maybe she'd respond to him in kind to how the Class-1s would. But no.

"Servs must die!" the Major parroted with rage,

"Please Maj-" before Ava could finish his sentence the Major had already dashed over to him and smashed her fist into his stomach, Ava didn't even have time to reel over in pain, she kneed him in the face and kicked him straight down to the ground. Her final move was to jump into the air with her spear out and come crashing down onto Ava's vulnerable body, but she failed. Just a split second before she spear landed, Ava concentrated and unlocked every single lock that was limiting his body's movement and senses. Once again his body felt free and his senses were heightened. Suddenly the attack from The Major, which was originally lightning fast, was telegraphed enough to see. And to dodge.