End Part 4: Welcome Home

"Mr Ava? Sir? Are you ok?" asked the woman,

"So tell me," said Ava, "what happened after that? What happened to society?"

"Oh, that's right. I'm meant to tell that you that too." The woman pulled out another book, "I've got this all memorised but, you know, in this situation it's so hard to remember" now she was trying to hide her nervousness, "ok so... there have been several periods. Soon after this book was written came the dark ages. Society crumbled due to another virus, the Serv society reverted to a very simple and savage state. After a few hundred years they managed to evolve, and society finally started to become more civilised again, although technology was still on a rudimentary level. The renaissance helped elevate our society back to the level of artistic integrity it once had however, and soon after it led to the industrial revolution, where our technology managed to thrive once again. Unfortunately there were several wars that happened after this, but Serv society still continued to develop at an exponential rate. Reaching this point, we can easily say that our society has now reached a level of technological mastery that surpasses that of the society you were once a part of."

Ava paused after hearing this, he tried to digest it, "Shit, a lot of stuff can happen in 2000 years I guess."

"..."

"Somehow Aphrodite's family managed to survive all of this huh?"

"I believe there are many Serv out there that may have some of her genes in there somewhere. I was one of the many to be traced back to her, and apparently I resemble her the most, so I was chosen as the first person you saw when you awoke."

They didn't really look alike at all. Their voices were similar, a bit.

"The dark ages, lack of technology. All that stuff. How did my AI manage to survive all that? How am I here?"

"Well the data was floating through space. It never went back to Mars. We found it only a couple of decades ago during space exploration, back when we were trying to find alien life."

"Wow." This plan wasn't a one in a million chance, it was one in a billion.

"From our understanding your data has been spread all throughout space, there's billions of copies of you out there. I suppose my ancestor wanted to make it as easy as possible for us to come across you once our technology reached the level that we could bring you to life." the woman bit her lip again, "actually, after the 2000 year time limit passed, our society was still only just getting out of the dark ages. We only found you recently."

"Wait, so you're telling me...?"

"While your AI was activatable 2000 years after she encrypted you, we didn't find you until 4000 years in the future. Well, 4196 years later, to be exact."

Ava's eyes widened,

"So I'm fucking 4000 years in the future!?" he shouted, but then slumped back down, "jeez, like it makes any difference at this point."

"Your return has been prophesied, thanks to you Serv society was able to survive, and evolve. Aren't you happy you have the opportunity to see the fruits of your labours?"

Ava didn't totally know how he felt. He felt lost, that's all he knew. This was too much for him.

"Now what?" he said, "is there even a place for me here?".

"Of course," the woman replied, "we've made it so that you'll never have to worry about anything ever again. You're an icon, our treasure. Please, maybe you should rest a little longer, and then I'll make preparations to-"

The phone rang. The woman quickly rushed to it and replied to the call.

"Hello?" she paused, "what!? Really?" she ran to the window and edged the blinds open, "holy crap! When did the information leak? There's... there's hundreds of thousands out there!"