Chapter 56: Back to Dorms

The Operator's dormitory was only fifteen minutes away from Central Command by shuttle, but this cold winter night Sylvie couldn't help but feel compelled to walk her way home. The Major had allowed Sylvie to keep Gobot with her for the time being, and so the two shuffled along the streets of Mars Central in a state of melancholy.

Why? Sylvie didn't know, either way it was curious being among normal civilians. She walked along a massive bridge and took in the view, the crowds of people did little to disturb her wonder at the shower of brightly lit buildings that were below her.

There was one thing she couldn't deny, Mars Central was beautiful. Built on top of a giant mountain, the city was semi-multilayered, with different sections overlapping each other and Central Command sitting straight at the top, right in the middle. The mountainous tiers of towers on every level were a sight to behold, and from where Sylvie was standing, on a bridge that overlooked the lower levels, it was hard not to lose one's breath.

"Miss Sylvie, I want to see." said Gobot,

"Huh!? Oh, right. Really?" asked Sylvie, She'd forgotten that Gobot was too short to look over the edge of the bridge, "well what do you want me to do?"

"Lift me over."

"Well I could... but what if I drop you by accident?"

Gobot stared at Sylvie in shock. Maybe. It was hard to read Gobot's limited expressions.

"Just kidding, fine, here." Sylvie leant down and picked Gobot up from under his shoulders. She lifted him up so that he could take in the beauty of the city himself.

There was silence for a while, maybe Gobot was just taking a while to taking it in, but either way Sylvie was getting tired of holding him up, and being pushed back and forth by the crowds of Block-4s who were walking by was getting annoying.

"Are you done now Gobot?" asked Sylvie,

"This was made by man?" Gobot replied,

"Huh?"

"This entire city. Mankind made it?"

"If you're talking about our ancient ancestors then... yeah, I guess? I trust the Major is telling the truth."

"But Aphrodite would never be able to make something like this." Gobot's head turned 180 and looked at Sylvie, "so how?"

"Uh, it wasn't just one human. At least that's how I interpreted it." she put Gobot down and raised an eyebrow, "you didn't seriously think it was just one person who made all this?"

"Yes."

"What gave you that impression?"

"Nothing. I just think it's logical, isn't it? Even if loads of people made it physically, the idea would go back and back and back to one person. Right?"

"What the hell are you talking about."

"I wonder if someone that smart would be friends with me too. Like Aphrodite was." Gobot sounded genuinely wistful. Sylvie rested her hand on her hip and tutted,

"You really are weirdo these days y'know." she chuckled,

Gobot didn't reply for a while, "But Miss Sylvie, you're acting weird too aren't you?"

"Huh? I am? In what way," Sylvie was finding Gobot's new astute nature extremely uncomfortable.

"...I don't know."

"Tch." Sylvie shrugged, "you dummy."

If there was one thing Sylvie had learned it was that, despite the fact that Gobot's intelligence had multiplied tenfold in the past few years, his innocent and rather dopey nature hadn't changed that much.

Which was a breath of fresh air.

***

The Operator's dorms were part of an area of residential blocks built specifically for people in the army, it was located near the side of the developments, easy to see from the entrance of the area.

However what caught Sylvie's eye when she walked through the gates of the developments was the concourse, the large area where people from all the blocks congregated during relaxation time. All of her operator friends were waiting for her, some with signs and billboards held up saying "Welcome Back!" and others with party poppers.

Every yelled welcome back and pulled their poppers, a mess of paper ribbons flew in the air (would be a nightmare for the Block-5s to clean up tomorrow...).

Operators were pretty talkative as it was, so when they rushed over to Sylvie, all two hundred or so of them, the cacophony of the girls congratulating Sylvie on a job well done was loud enough to wake the neighbourhood. They hugged Sylvie, patted Gobot on the head, did all sorts of things that friendly Operators were known for.

Sylvie had to be honest with herself though, this was a result of the base instinct of Operators, they all acted this way, they all saw each other as friends, as sisters. But did Sylvie really see them as friends? Did she really miss them when she was away?

Did they truly miss her?

She wasn't sure.

Either way she wasn't used to getting this much attention and recognition. While she threw smiles and hugs at her fellow operator friends, deep inside she didn't really know how to feel about the situation.

In the end, she wanted to be alone. After the hugs and kisses were over, once everything had calmed down, Sylvie decided it was time for her to go back to her apartment, she politely declined the group syncing session, which even the Major had suggested her take part in (for the sake of maintaining synchronisation with other Operators, mostly). Sylvie really just wanted to be alone.

Funnily enough though, she didn't mind having Gobot follow her around.

Sylvie let opened the door to her apartment and let Gobot in, she flicked the light on to expose her completely spic and span home. The Block-5 cleaning Servs really went all out in keeping her place tidy.

"Oh man. What'd you think of that Gobot?" asked Sylvie,

"What did I think of what Miss Sylvie?" Gobot replied as he hopped around, taking in the sights of Sylvie's extremely girly, extremely purple apartment.

"Huh. Aren't you surprised? You've got the shell of an Evo but the Servs aren't treating you any differently. I think the Operators think you're cute, if anything."

"Oh, yes, they needed to hide me away back when I as a Block-5. They knew everyone would hate me and think I was an enemy. I was sad back then." Gobot slouched. As much as a Evo with his stature could anyway,

"But now everyone loves you, and the fact that I found you is considered the best thing ever." Sylvie crossed her arms and frowned, "They let me take you out in public and even asked me to take care of you." she quickly looked more apologetic, "not that I don't like that or anything!" and then relaxed again, "it's just weird, don't you think?"

"...Well"

Sylvie put her palm to her face, "Why am I bothering to ask you? I'm an idiot."

"No, I can guess why! It's because I've changed! I'm a real boy now!"

"Huh? You're like... five now. Grow up Gobot." Although age cycled for Evos might be different for Servs, thinking about it. That might have been a bit harsh.

"But now that I'm real, they probably think I'm really valuable!"

"That makes sense. I wonder why I didn't think of that." Sylvie sighed, "Looks like you're smarter than me too."

****

Sylvie only had a few hours until morning, so she spent that time on her charger in low power mode, browsing the network for her leisure.

A lot had changed since she left.

A lot.

Author's Note: Sorry for the delay guys, and I know the chapter seems a little unfinished. I'm busy writing a few weeks ahead because I'll be away in Hong Kong for two weeks. Forgive me!