Chapter 84: Deep Underground

The three ran into the complex as fast as they could. The lone, desolate courtyard leading up to the main building was crumbled and had all sorts of foliage crawling out from underground. It was from there where they'd be able to enter the building and take the elevator to the underground control centre. The massive complex that sat beneath the entire facility.

As they ran in they noticed the massive doors they'd run through had jammed. It wasn't closing behind them properly. It kept making whirring noises, moving back and forth trying to close.

To their shock, it seems like many of the creatures were starting to filter through,

"H-hey, wasn't the Major meant to be taking care of those?" asked Aphrodite,

"There are thousands of them coming from every direction. Some were bound to get through." Ava growled, "didn't Mother say there's a really sensitive security system here in the building? If it goes into high alert-"

"The entire facility gets filled with molten wax, which hardens instantly. Apparently, the process would also cause the entire facility to collapse at the state that it's in now."

"Tch, in that case, we're gonna have to stop those bastards from getting any closer." Ava pulled out his baton, he activated a high electrical charge across it. His combat style was more suited against Evos, so he wasn't sure how he'd do in this situation, "you guys don't need me any more right? All you need to access the network is authentication."

"R-right. I think so," replied Sylvie,

"In that case head to the facility without me. I'll stop the remaining creatures from getting any closer."

"Are you sure you're gonna be ok?"

"I might have to go into overdrive for this. But it shouldn't be a problem." Ava flashed a thumbs up. Which was kinda cringey.

The two girls left him to it and ran to the building's main doors, they tried not to stumble over the cracked concrete and foliage as they rushed to their destination. It had become a time-sensitive mission, Ava and the Major wouldn't be able to kill every creature there, so eventually, the high alert would get sounded and any hope of accessing the network via the facility would be gone.

They reached the main doors of the building.

It was, as expected, linked to a biometric scanner again. Just the eye. Aphrodite walked up to the eye scanner panel to the side of the door and looked into it.

Nothing happened. She waited and waited.

Still nothing.

"Why won't it scan!?" she exclaimed.

"Is it working?" asked Sylvie,

The two examined the scanner.

No. The retina scanner was broken. There were cracks, and it was fogged up completely.

Even though the entire facility was protected by a shield, and the scanner itself was behind a sturdy panel, it still succumbed to the curse of time.

"It's the camera that's bitten the dust. The scanner itself still has power," said Sylvie, as she examined the device.

"Yeah, but what can we do? It's not like we can fix it now."

"...We can fool it into thinking it's scanning your eye anyway."

"What do you mean?"

"I'll scan your eye and transfer the digital information into the scanner directly. Bypassing the camera."

"W-wait. Doesn't that involve hacking? I thought you said you couldn't do that anymore!"

"No, it's fine. I'm not actually putting any effort into breaking any firewalls or anything. It's just basic data transfer. That should be fine." Sylvie smiled warmly,