End of Part 5: Sylvie and Go-bot Return

Two years earlier, on Mars.

A small ship landed gracefully on the Grand Military Spaceport, it had a distinct design, a design reserved for two very special Servs who had gone on a mission on the other side of the solar system. One that no-one thought they'd return from.

It was Sylvie and Gobot, back from The Sanctuary. The journey back had taken several months, but as before, Sylvie simply needed to go into sleep mode to make the journey seem far shorter than it was. Granted an extra month was added to the journey because she had to take a detour around Jupiter, but still, it made no difference to her. The delay meant she was most likely back after Ava was. As far as she knew anyway.

Sylvie awoke from her pod and watched as the door of her ship opened up. The landing area was on top of a massive tower on a hill that overlooked the metropolis from all around, of course, the central government HQ was situated right in the centre of the capital, she'd landed in one of the most prestigious spots in the whole country. The planet, even.

She looked around as she stepped out, it was a cold and windy night, and the lights of the city below blinked in the darkness like an ocean of stars. From her perception it had only been a few weeks since she was last on Mars, but it felt like an eternity. She was glad to be back home.

The landing zone was home to some prestigious company too, a lot of important people were standing there waiting for her arrival. In front, President Goro, the recently voted in leader of the political wing the of Block-1s, stood front and centre. Like all the Block-1s, he was dressed in a very unique manner, some sort of long white gown that made him look like a spirit or something, long hair knotted up, and pale white makeup covering his face. Still, he had very commanding features and a very large body, intimidating despite his outfit.

Yeah. Those Block-1s sure were unique looking.

Next to him stood Lin and Rin, the two twins who really did nothing but travel the world as ambassadors, spreading the world of the Block-1s in person, rather than digitally like usual. Their visits were always a huge morale boost for the Y-type Servs, although no-one really knew why. As usual they were wearing loosely draped fabrics over their bodies, with an oddly coloured soft pink shell underneath.

Of course beside them both stood Sylvie's absolute hero, the Major, standing majestically among the rest of the peons of the army. Yes, she had several Block-4 soldiers behind her, but her authority and presence overpowered them all.

Either way, Sylvie wasn't expecting such a warm welcome. After walking out of the ship she helped Gobot out along with her, with his stubby little legs he was having trouble hopping out, she tried to think about what to say to her welcoming party while doing so.

"B3-S11, I assume?" said President Goro. Sylvie paused for a moment. Oh that was right, that was her serial number, no-one she knew called her by that.

"Yes sir! I am Operator Unit and Communications Officer B3-S11, back from mission X4RR!" she stiffened up and stood straight. She tapped Gobot with her leg,

"Ow!" Gobot did his best to replicate the position,

"You didn't manage to find the human then?" asked Goro,

"I'm afraid not Sir. Gobot has confirmed that she went to the other moon soon after living on the sanctuary. I already have a full report of the events recorded if you wish for me to transfer them."

The president waved his hands.

"Save that protocol nonsense for the army, the Major can look at that stuff." he rolled his eyes,

"That's right, we're only here for one thing little one," said Lin,

"If you don't have the human, then our conversation is over," added Rin,

"Hah, don't try and assume we came here to welcome you or anything like that, frankly we were all but certain that you and Ava would be de-"

"Enough." The Major stopped the two, "Sylvie's brought back some extremely valuable information. It's nothing to be scoffed at." she nodded her head towards Gobot, "and you found him on the Sanctuary planet?"

"Right. Gobot's gone through some... changes in the past few years." said Sylvie. "Can't wait to see what Ava thinks of him when they meet again."

"I see, so you brought a pet back from your travels huh?" teased Lin,

"He looks as stupid as always," added Rin,

Sylvie tried not to make her irritation visible, and she was starting to feel a little bad for Gobot. Lin and Rin always did seem extremely stuck up, it was really only their Block-1 authority level that let them get away with the things they said. Their bodies were clearly fragile, if Sylvie wanted to she could kick one of them and knock them out easily.

Best not think that way though.

"Well either way," said President Goro, "it looks like we've seen all there is to see. A shame there wasn't more, but that's that I suppose." he and the rest turned to walk towards the large double doors that led to the elevators below.

Sylvie and the Major watched at the group disappeared into the doorway. Eventually, only they and Gobot were left.

"Thank you for coming to see me Major, I'm sorry I disappointed you." Sylvie hung her head in shame.

"Did I say you could stand at ease?" asked the Major, her arms crossed,

"O-oh, sorry ma'am!" Sylvie stood up straight again,

"Undisciplined as ever, aren't you?"

Sylvie didn't reply,

"That's the price I have to pay to have talent among my ranks huh?"

Sylvie's eyes widened "Huh?"

"Sylvie, ignore what Lin and Rin said. You did an amazing job. Your mission was to visit one of the two moons of Saturn, something no-one had ever done before. No Serv has ever travelled that distance. And anyway..." The Major walked up to Gobot and knelt down, "It's their fault for not understanding how valuable Gobot is. You deserve a medal for finding him intact alone."

"I-I didn't really do anything special ma'am." Sylvie blushed,

"Really?"

"...Yeah."

"You know there's only been one other operator unit in all of history to have gone on a long distance mission like that before. Going without a copy-AI no less."

"Only one?" Sylvie paused, "really?" she pointed to the Major.

"Yes. Before you, I was the only operator to go on a long distance mission. Do you know what that means?"

"N-no...?"

The Major walked up to Sylvie, the intensity of her presence was clearer than ever,

"It means you might be more than just a Block-3."