17. His decision

Anjali and Shyam glanced at Arnav now standing at a distance from the Gomti Sadan.

He was gazing at the decorated lit up home lost in his thoughts.The noise of the guests, songs being played and the chatters could be heard even here .

"Chote.." She placed a hand on his shoulder."I think it isn't the right time for us to go in there. We should just head back. She is getting married Chote. You going there before her in amidst many guests can cast a gloom all over her home especially within her." She tried one last time.

Arnav swallowed a lump.

"Di you both go to Sheesh Mahal. I will come back there only after meeting her."

"But Arnav. Can't you see the preparations are fully on.The marriage is due in two hours or so." Shyam tried to convince him too.

"I know what you both are scared of. Don't worry. I won't go in there from the front." Arnav said calmly as a distant memory appeared in his mind.

"Then how will you meet her?"

"Don't worry. Nothing will dampen this celebrating mood of them. You both--just leave."

Anjali looked at her brother confused. She turned him to her and cupped his shoulders.

"Why don't you show your pain to me? Why don't you open up Chote..at least to me?"

"Di mujhe aise hi rehne de.(Let me be this only)If I opened up then you will not be able to see me. In fact no one will be able to bear it.I have so much buried in here.." He pointed towards his heart.

"There is so much buried within me for the last seven years. If it came out I won't be able to stand, walk or talk properly ever again.So its better that I stay under this mask of indifference Di. Iss k bina ya toh mai nahi rahun ga ya phir maira wajood khud hi toot kar bhikar jaye ga(Without this mask either I won't survive or if I did then my whole being will itself crash and turn into ashes.)"

"Chote your words are terrifying me." She choked.

"Dariye mat(Don't be). Until I am in this mask of indifference you shouldn't be scared."

"Chote aisa kuch mat karna jisse unhe ya tumhe khud ko baad mai takleef ho. Pehle hum nahi the un dino tumhare sath tumhe sahi raasta dikhane k liye. Ab hum hain toh tumhe koi galat kadam nahi uthane dein gay..(Chote don't do anything which will hurt you both later on. In the past I wasn't there in those days to lead you to the right path. Now when I am I won't let you take any wrong step)"

He smiled sarcastically.

"I wish di ye sab apne us waqt socha hota jab apne phone pe mujhe wo sab kaha tha. Toh ye sab hota hi nahi(I wish Di you'd had thought about this when you irrationally acted and said all that on the phone years ago then all this wouldn't have happened.)" Saying this he left a stunned Anjali behind.