24. The scars

It has been said, 'time heals all wounds'. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone Rose Kennedy

Gomti Sadan

Akash came back from his official trip straight to his wife and daughter, he had had an angry and pissed Payal to handle.

"You planned all that with Babu ji and that Raizada even when you knew how much it would affect Khushi. How could you?" She burst out as soon as he was done with the greeting and they were in the room alone.

"Payal calm down. Here sit down." Holding her shoulders he made her sit on the bed and sighed.

"We did what we could for Khushi. Not only Babu ji but I knew too and even you do that she wanted him only in her life no matter how many excuses she made about making him suffer , wait and all."

"But for her to realize it, was it really necessary to send her forcibly?"

"It really was needed. Trust me. Otherwise haven't you seen how she kept resisting him for months even after their marriage? First she made the excuse of getting him on his feet, it took him two months and then when he came back to take her with him fulfilling her condition, she brought up another excuse and forced him to shift to Lucknow.That took another one month. You tell me where did it get them? Nowhere. Because as soon as he completed that condition of hers she stepped back all over again refusing to go with him." He exhaled.

"If we hadn't done that then all this would've continued because you and we all know how much tough and stone hearted she has become over the years. She has learnt to control her emotions and she would've done everything in her power to resist her feelings for Arnav too."

Payal closed her eyes and couldn't help but agree to his each and every word.

"Mai Choti ko aise aur nahi dekh sakta tha. Bhai bolti hai mujhe. Behen maana hai maine usse. Toh aise kaise uss ko apni ankhon k saamne barbad hone deta? (I couldn't see Choti like that anymore. She calls me brother. I have made her my sister. Then how could I let her destroy herself before my own eyes?)" He croaked at last turning his head to her.

Payal opened her eyes and leaned against his shoulder wrapping her arm around his elbow.

"In her defense, he deserved everything she put him through." Payal stated.

"I know. Believe me even Arnav knows that. Babu ji didn't send Khushi with him just like that. He has practically warned him and has had a very serious discussion with him before agreeing to do as I suggested."

"How did that turn out? She came back in hours and has left being really upset with Babu ji. Not only that she was disappointed in you too. She hasn't contacted us for about a week now." Payal said dejected.

"Don't worry about that. She can't stay mad at her father for long. Not with me either. Don't you know her Payal?" He rubbed her arm up and down soothingly.

"I know her. That's why I am afraid Akash. She would prefer suffering and torturing herself rather than showing her weakness to anyone. Especially if its Arnav for that matter."