A Blurry Baby

"Angeles..." the voice rung in my head.

"Mother?" I say with a gulp.

"We need to talk." she says down the phone with a serious tone.

"I agree." I say, trying not to release the sob that is caught in my throat.

"I know by now you will have come to your senses so we should meet up for lunch. Talk all this over."

"Come to my senses?" I say hurt.

"Yes, I know you will have done what's best by now. I'll see you at the Resto-bar at twelve okay?"

"Mum..."

"I have to go. See you then."

Then she hung up.

Come to my senses? Did she think I'd got rid of the baby?

I didn't even want to think of that, so I shook it off and re-joined the others in the dining room. Everyone was gigging and while I was on the phone, it appeared Maca had arrived. She and Vilu were going to spend the morning together whilst German and I were at the ultrasound.

"Angie!" says Violetta, "We have more opinions on the baby!"

"Okay," I say as I collect my bag, as we will be leaving soon.

"Well, Olga and I want to know the gender but Maca and Ramallo say you shouldn't."

"A draw?" I say annoyed, "That doesn't help!"

"Okay," beings Maca, "Well, here is my reasoning, if you don't find out, it will be a lovely surprise!"

"Yes-" interrupts Violetta, "But if you find out, then we can decorate the nursery in the perfect way!"

Suddenly a million reasons fly around the room on why we should or shouldn't. It just confuses me even more.

"Okay! We will see what it's like when we get there!" I say laughing.

German picked up my coat and put it on me. I think he helps me just so I go faster as I'm too slow for him.

Once I'm ready, we wave everyone goodbye and German and I get in the car. I'm quite nervous but also very excited. I cannot wait to see tealeaf.

We were at the hospital in no time and I took a seat while German checked me in. Once he had, he took a seat next to me.

I had the biggest smile on my face and so did German.

"Mrs Carrara?" A voice came not a moment later.

"Yes."

"We are ready to see you now."

German helped me from the seat and we followed the nurse to the room we were in. When I got in we were greeted by a taciturn midwife, who invited German to take a seat while I was to lay on the bed.

"According to our records, it says you've just gone 20 weeks, is that correct?"

"Yes." I say giddy with excitement.

"And, you didn't have a Ultrasound at 12 weeks I hear due to sickness is that correct?"

"Yes, the doctor said it wouldn't be worth attending."

"Well, lets have a look at your baby then." she says smiling, "Can you lift up your shirt slightly for me please?"

I lifted my shirt, so the bottom of my stomach was visible.

She put some gel on my stomach and it was rather cold. Once she had done this she moved a small device over my stomach and then the screen beside her sprung to life. It had a small, blurry image on it, but it was undoubtedly tealeaf.

"Here you go," says the midwife, "This is your baby."

German and I stare in bewilderment at the screen for a moment but we have lots to ask.

"I realise you probably have lots of questions but here is what I can tell you." says the midwife looking at her clipboard.

"Based on how long gone you are, we estimate the due date to be June 24th, you would have known this at 12 weeks if you'd have come then."

I can see German thinking the date over and over in his mind. I know he won't forget it. It's too important to him.

"Your baby is perfectly healthy, we can usually detect some abnormalities at this stage but your baby looks absolutely healthy. You have nothing to worry about."

I feel German release a breath next to me. He seems to respond to everything, whereas I just stared at the screen, completely in love with tealeaf already.

"Finally, I can give you the option to find out your baby's gender. Would you like to know whether its a boy or a girl?"