Chapter V

So apparently I need to rethink this whole randomly falling through the wormhole scene because I've just been spun around three times.

This Elle woman is as sweet as diabetes inducing frosting, but the things she's telling me about my parents and about their history together is too much for my feeble mind to handle in one sitting.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." Let's pump the brakes on this. "This is crazy- even for my standards. How do you know so much about my parents?"

"I told you, I knew them, particularly your mother."

Rubbing my face, I let hot air blow through my fingers as I let out a breath. "Yeah, yeah, I heard, but are you trying to tell me that my mom fell down the same hole I did?" There needs to be warning signs around that bush or something then if that's the case.

"She did, it's the truth."

While we talk, Oslen goes about doing some chores along with the jumping bean whose name is Marlowe evidently. Eathelin goes back outside to presumably play by herself with her doll and the little boy in Elle's lap, Camus, squirms and flails until he's finally let down to roam the floor at our feet. Life's happening around me but I seriously need a time-out from reality right now.

"Oh, I wish Coxen were here to see you," She said dreamily. "He would have loved to meet you."

"Coxen?"

Marlowe pipes up. "Uncle Coxen is the best uncle in Edalirwen."

Before I can ask, Elle explains. "My brother travels often, he's the chief guardsman so he makes his rounds throughout the provinces to uphold the peace. He always makes sure to visit us, though."

"How'd my mom get back if she fell through that hole?"

"Sephora."

"Sephora?" All these names to keep up with.

She smiles fondly (I'm certainly taking her down memory lane). "I'm not entirely sure how she met Sephora, but she was a godspeed to all of us. She's an enchantress so she created a potion for your mother to use in order to return home. She's a rather clever individual. She also visits from time to time as well."

"Uh-huh." I've never felt so discombobulated before- it hurts to sort this all out.

"So," Let's get all our ducks in a row. "My mom fell through the hole then you and your brother and this Sephora person befriended her and...how did my dad come into the equation?"

She places her folded hands on the table, looking a little trepidatious. Her smile isn't as strong but she makes it look so effortless.

"Your father was...he was the king and your mother and him- I'm sorry, did I say something out of-"

"Yeah," I interrupted her by getting up from the table so quickly. "I can't."

Concerned, she stands as well. "You can't what?"

I burst out laughing, half serious, half I don't even know how to feel.

"I can't. This ain't the Princess Diaries, and I'm certainly no Mia Thermopolis." I see I've lost her with my jargon. "My dad can't be a king here because he wasn't even born here. He was born in Transylvania in the regular class or whatever classes they have over there."

I see she's still a bit lost, but she's also giving me an "Oh, honey" pitying expression that looks so genuine on her Disney princess face.

"Is that what they told you?"

"Uh, yeah, and that's the truth. I followed you when you mentioned my mom and all but this is too outrageous, even for me."

"My dad, a king, okay."