Chapter XLV

Standing before the camouflaged door, I listen to the rushing of the waterfall at our backs, even feeling a few splashes flicking at the back of my neck.

"Waiting for an invitation?" Chasan asks impatiently.

It's so tempting to push him off this ledge right now, but there are witnesses down below so it's not a good idea (yet).

Instead, I ignore him (even though my very nature screams for a smartass retort) and push open the door, leading us into a dark space.

As my eyes adjust to the darkness- the light coming in from the outside helping- I can see that we've just entered a tunnel. Naturally curious as to where it leads, I start venturing down into the dark hall, not too concerned if a masked murderer might be lurking around the corner.

"We won't be able to see anything," Chasan says, pausing once he enters the tunnel.

"I can see good enough," I reply, peering down as far as I could. "Come on, we're wasting time."

Sighing at me, he begins following as I press on. The farther we get from the entrance, the darker and harder it becomes to see what's in front of us, but it's mainly a straight run so I'm not overly worried.

It's in this dark silence that Chasan speaks up.

"I hope whatever is down here is worth it."

"You and me both."

The silence returns, but not for long. Like upchuck that's been resting in my chest and threatening to spew out since forever, I can't stop myself from asking-

"Why'd you bring up my dad earlier?"

"Huh? What are you talking about?"

I know I should probably stop, but the words keep vomiting up.

"When you were asking about my dad yesterday after we got through that mess. Why'd you ask about him?"

He doesn't respond right away and I'm sure it's because this is completely out of left field and he's confused by this sudden topic. Eventually, he recovers and begins.

"I was just curious."

"Kinda felt like more than that, I dunno," I reply, squinting harder as if that'll help me see any better through this darkness.

Another lull passes before he responds to that.

"Well, it kind of felt like you were being secretive about it."

"Well, I mean...and? That's nothing new for me," I try playing it off.

"As I've stated before, you're an open book- a very loud, obnoxious, open book- so for you to be so secretive and nearly die over the fact that you didn't want to tell anyone about your father just made me curious."