Chapter LI

My first steps into the place are cautious yet determined. Knowing Tymos, I wouldn't put it past him to rig the place for our arrival.

But as we slowly enter the vast space, nothing happens- the only sound that can be heard is the hollow echo of our footsteps.

Inspecting this place, I'm actually surprised by the design, this isn't what I envisioned when I think a palace, especially one for Tymos. Open and big but not much in it. In fact, it reminds me a little of a Chinese palace that I saw once when my teacher showed this documentary about ancient China. Except, there's not much in this joint aside from the complex wrought iron craftsmanship and oddly obsessive amount of strange, vivid color plants. I mean, if there's one thing that's too present here, it's the plants. Tymos never struck me as one to have a green thumb, yet there are varying unknown species of different sizes, colors, and whatnot hanging from the ceiling and laced throughout the high-vaulted lattice ceiling like this is the Hanging Gardens or something. Don't know why he needs all of these overgrown plants when he lives in a freakin' jungle.

"What's his thing with plants?" I ask Nimu, keeping my voice low- hell, the echo of this place might just alert him to our presence.

Her eyes are darting all over the place as if this is her first time here and she expects a jumpscare.

"I don't really know...he never explained it to me and I never really inquired about it, it wasn't my business."

Rings a little odd to me that Nimu- Ms. Mom herself- never asked a thousand incessant questions about something so bizarre.

"Do you think they're alive?" Lan wonders aloud, studying a bright pink bulb one closely.

"Well, they're plants," I reply with a "duh" tone.

"I meant do you think they eat intruders?"

I'm about to make a smart remark when Nimu unexpectedly replies, distracted by the plants.

"No, they're dormant."

I make a face at her. "So you do know what's up with these things."

She pauses, breaking out of her trance to stare at me in confusion. "What?"

"You just said they're dormant."

She blinks then arches an eyebrow at me. "Well, they are."

"And how would you know that if you never asked questions about these things?"

I suspect I caught her in a trap, but she simply rolls her eyes at me, shakes her head, and starts back up as she briskly replies.

"I can assume things as well. But I am telling the truth, I never asked about the plants."