Chapter XXVI

I'm more annoyed at the fresh, new wave of pain pulsing through my body than being in the current situation I'm stuck in.

Between sleeping on the lumpy ground, being hit, kicked, and beaten, my chiropractor bill is going to be through the roof when I get home.

But back to my unsavory, unknown location.

Glancing around the dark space, I allow my eyes time to adjust to the darkness before piecing together where I am. It's weird, but it appears I'm in some sort of tipi- the kind I used to hear about in history with Native Americans and all- it even appears like it's made out of animal skin as well. It's a small thing so there isn't much to look at, but what I do notice lies behind me.

"Nimu," I twist around the best I can with my hands tied behind me to the supporting pole. "Nimu, you awake?"

Hearing her moan gives me hope.

"Nimu, wake up."

I yank her hands a little since our wrists are tied together.

"Wha? What's happening?" She groans, coming to. "Wh-where..."

"We've been captured," I explain.

I decide to be a little more mindful of my volume since there might be someone lurking outside and I'm sure animal skin isn't soundproof.

"What? By who?" She asks, starting to wake up more.

"Not a clue, but it's probably smart to keep quiet, they might be listening in on us."

Now more alert, she tries pulling at the restraints but to no avail.

"Well this is a setback," She grumbles.

"You're telling me."

Every time I think I'm getting ahead there's always some pointless shit to waste my time.

"Where's Lan? And Chasan?" She asks.

I did notice initially they weren't here, but I wasn't all that concern seeing as we're not in a better situation ourselves.

"Maybe whoever captured us took them somewhere else," I reply, still not all that concerned. "We can worry about them after we get ourselves free."

"Right. Well, do you have your sword on you still?"

She's right, we could use that...if only it hadn't been taken.

"They must have taken it," I growl in frustration.

Sighing in exasperation, she rests her head against the pole, giving me an idea.

"Hey, what if we try to move this pole?"

She looks behind at me.

"And do what? The pole supports this structure."

"Get it to move so we can get free of course."

"Moving the pole would draw too much attention."

As much as I hate to admit it, she's right. Back to square one.

"Okay," Now it's my turn to rest my head against the pole and sigh. "What do you suggest we do then?"

"I don't know, give me some time think of something..."

"Not to rush you, but make it quick, there's still a deadline I have to meet."

She mutters something under her breath but I don't bother bringing it up, I'm too much in thought. As we think in that sauna-like tent, I pull at the rope, trying to break free when my hand brushes against Nimu, that's when I get my eureka moment.