Chapter IX

I will never understand the charm of castles, especially old, archaic ones like this. Well, I can understand it to a degree but I'd much prefer it if it was a modern palace that didn't appear like Count Dracula crashed here every weekend.

Cobwebs as thick as the fake Halloween stuff cling in every crack and crevice available, some loose strands flapping like ghostly tendrils reaching out for me as I pass by. In the rays of sunlight, dust particles drift around like snow, coating every piece of furniture I stumble across. Luckily, the floors aren't wooden or else they might be squealing as I walk through these never-ending halls.

When I was standing on the outside looking in, the place didn't seem that big, now that I'm wandering through it aimlessly I'm more lost than Alice in Wonderland. I don't have a clue where the throne room might be hidden or what floor I'm even on. Not surprising seeing how I don't have the best sense of direction in the first place.

Okay, it's retrace-our-step time. I went up the steps, arrived on the second floor, turned left- no, I went right then left, passed a table with a mirror- no...

Hell if I knew where I was. I might as well be in the pit of this beast's stomach.

In fact, it's so much like a labyrinth I wouldn't be surprised in the least if David Bowie came riding in on a minotaur singing Magic Dance!

Dragging myself through this these repetitive halls is the worst mind trick anyone could play on me right now. Every second that passes leaves me more uncertain about Brent's safety. Believe me, he's a smart kid who could talk a rock into becoming a mountain, but that Tymos freak doesn't sound like the most stable-minded guy in existence- plus, he seemed too intently enthralled by me (nobody that interested in me has good intentions, that much I know).

No matter how desperately I want to reach my brother, I'm stuck searching for this throne room in order to find a sword.

"God," I growl, leaning against the wall in the millionth hall I've traveled. This place needs a directory or something.

Alright, I'm going to do something I despise doing when not required to: think. I mean, like really brainstorm where this room might be because there must be some sort of layout to this joint. Resting my head against the wall, I mentally run through what I already know about this place.

Where would someone build a throne room?

Safest bet? The center, the core.

Yeah, but that means I would need to find it first. You'd think it would be easy, but you'd also think imagery numbers shouldn't exist yet you'd be wrong.

Closing my eyes, I refer back to my mental map and try to envision where I currently am in relation to where the core of this place might be. Rubbing my face, I let out an aggravated sigh then start beating the back of my head against the door, every pound signifying a word.

"God. How. I. Don't. Want. To. Do. Th-

Without warning, the door gives way, causing me to fall back into the room, my head hitting the cold, unforgiving ground harder than intended.

"Screw me."

Wincing as I sit up, my back cracking in the process, I moan, rubbing my soon-to-be sore head. But as I'm sitting up to observe the room I fell into, I'm starting to notice the difference between this room and the rest of the castle thus far.

Moss clings to practically every surface yet there's light breaking through unlike the rest of the castle which feels more like an abandoned haunted mansion rather than a castle. Parts of the ceiling have collapsed, providing a way for the light to filter in, creating, in a strange sense, a friendlier vibe than previously shown before. Walking further into the room, I can also recognize the sorry remnants of a throne that sits on a raised platform. It appears like it's been demolished, as if vandals came past a few times to mess with it.