Epilogue

"And so we come to one of the most anticipated events of the night: The Final Women's 100 Meter Dash. I think there's a lot to look forward to tonight, especially considering the line-up.

"There's, of course, the late Florence Griffith-Joyner who maintains the women's world record of 10.49 from the 1988 Seoul Olympic games- quite the record considering it still stands.

"Now onto the line-up. Tiyah Daker-Samuels, Jamaica, 2. Aaliyah Lewis, Trinidad, 3. Joan Domshov, U.S.A., 4. Corine Walker-Wells, Jamaica, 5. Neveah Brustein, U.S.A., 6. Zoya Smirnov, Russia, 7. Deanna Bailey, U.S.A, 8. Redonna Tilford-Brown, Jamaica, 9.

"Coming down to the field, we get to see each of these amazing ladies, all of them eagerly awaiting the fire of the gun. Daker-Samuels, an amazing sprinter and well-seasoned veteran, secured her spot from the semi-finals with 10.88. Next, Aaliyah Lewis who won silver for the 100m in the last Olympics and gold in the 400m the Olympics before that, her time 10.81. Beside her is one of the promising emerging newcomers, Joan Domshov of the United States. She secured her spot in the finals with an impressive 10.58, earning her gold in her previous division. The reigning Olympic champion, Corine Walker-Wells of Jamaica is looking to hold onto her title, doing 10.72 in her heat. Next, Neveah Brustein, a bronze medal champion from the United States, absolutely fantastic with her start time- she finished just behind Walker-Wells with 10.73. Zoya Smirnov has pushed her way into the finals, a runner from Russia who won silver in the hurdle dash last summer. Her time was 11.01. Next to her, Bailey, Deanna Bailey, looking to top off her rivalry with Corine Walker-Wells. Bailey won gold in the 100 the Olympics before Walker-Wells took the title last year. Bailey had a time of 10.77. Last but certainly not least, another strong finisher, Redonna Tilford-Brown from Jamaica, always demonstrating excellent form in whatever run she does. She finished in 10.94 in her semi-finals. Again, Daker-Samuels, Lewis, Domshov, Walker-Wells, Brustein, Smirnov, Bailey, and Tilford-Brown. The Olympic Women's 100m final.

"You can sense the anticipation and uncertainty of this race- the whole stadium's holding their breath. The runners are settling..."

"...Set..."

"And they're off! Walker-Wells off with an excellent start, leading the way. Bailey just on her heels. Domshov is breaking through the pack. She's passed Walker-Wells, she's flying toward the finish line! She's looking to secure a win! She crosses the finish line- unbelievable! Unbelievable! If what I'm seeing is correct, Domshov has broken the record for not only Griffith-Joyner but the fastest man in the world, Usain Bolt, with a time of 9.55 seconds! Absolutely unbelievable!

"For a moment, it looked close between Walker-Wells and Bailey, but it was no contest when Domshov pulled through.

"It's without dispute now. It is official! Domshov has won gold and broken two world records here today! Absolutely unbelievable! Not only can she claim the fastest woman in the world, but at the official time of 9.55 seconds, she is the fastest runner in the world; Bolt taking second place by .3 seconds. Ah, this is what the Olympics are about, ladies and gentlemen, history in the making. Joan Domshov of the United States breaking two world records today for the 100m dash- completely unexpected.

"The crowd is roaring, I mean the atmosphere is absolutely electrifying. Notably, those in the U.S. cheering the loudest- they can now claim another champion and world-record holder to their team.

"Walker-Wells claims silver with a time of 10.53, losing her reigning title to Domshov. Understandably disappointed but satisfied with her run. Bailey came in at 10.55, a whole second behind Domshov, placing her in third. Even fourth place was impressive, though, with Daker-Samuels holding a time of 10.60. This is a race to remember, history in the making.

"I don't think anyone was expecting such a turnout- I mean, you can feel the shock and surprise buzzing throughout the stadium. Truth be told, I don't think Domshov herself was expecting it, but you can visibly see the pride and accomplishment radiating off her. And she has every right to be- she is now the fastest person in the world.

"You don't usually expect newcomers to perform as Domshov has tonight- only 21- but she's not one to be underestimated. One glance at her record and you can understand how beautifully she performs. She was said to run flawlessly, and tonight, I believe the world has witnessed that power and grace.

"So there we have it, Domshov wins gold for the U.S. in first place, Walker-Wells in second, and Bailey in third. An amazing race. Let's have a look at that again.

"You can see Domshov with a slight delay, only a fraction of a second, in contrast, Walker-Wells takes off beautifully. You're so focused on Bailey pulling up ahead, her strides quite strong, that you miss Domshov coming up from behind and surpassing both women. It's almost not even a race anymore, Domshov crosses the finish line under ten seconds, unheard of for a woman in the 100m dash, until now.

"So we end off the women's 100m dash with a triumphant end. One last look at the results. Domshov with 9.55, Walker-Wells, 10.53, and Bailey, 10.55. Two world records have been broken tonight by Joan Domshov, simply unbelievable."

[End of The Twisted Souls Series]