Chapter XLI

God only knows where I'm going to wind up, but for now, I keep falling through this black abyss until I arrive at the bottom- whenever that might be. One thing's for sure, though, I'm not dead- at least, yet.

But just like when I first arrived in this land, a small light begins to grow the closer I get to it. In fact, it's so much like the first time- almost the same feelings and everything- that I get hit with the strongest case of déjà vu I've ever experienced. Part of me actually starts to worry if this is my punishment, that I have to start this whole process over again like an unsaved game file.

Coming into the light, I squeeze my eyes shut, half expecting the excruciating pain from my body hitting the still water below- like what happened the first time- but nothing happens.

Instead, I open my eyes and find myself face down on the soft, mossy ground which tickles my cheek. Sitting up, absolutely bewildered to the sudden change, I blink while I survey the area, trying to figure out where I am.

Judging from the scenery, I'm no longer out in the humid, sticky jungle, but rather the balmy, crisp forest- almost like when I first fell in this world.

Sitting up, I glance around, checking out the area. It seems I haven't fallen into the despairs of hell yet (I'm just waiting for the day). In fact, I seem to be in a rather tranquil place. The sky is a calming shade of purple and dark blue and orange- it's really pretty- then you have the big open meadow that looks like the stock photo on a laptop surrounded by the forest, it's quite the sight. What's also quite the sight- and surprise- is the out-of-nowhere horse that comes whizzing past me at full speed.

Jesus!

Recovering from the shock, I glare at the horse and its rider who continue running as if they didn't almost kill me. I'm so busy glaring that I'm caught off guard again by a second horse and rider flying past me, this time even faster than the first one. At this point, I don't know if I landed right in the middle of some Kentucky Derby thing or whatever or perhaps just a fun racing game or maybe a murder about to happen- I dunno- but I'm hoping there aren't any more sudden surprises.

Since the two people who flew past me are the only people in sight, I don't have a lot of options available to ask for help. I need to figure out where I am and how to get back to where I was before I fell through the door.

I'm in luck, as they seem to be slowing down. It must've been a game or something because the guy who flew past me on the faster horse reaches over to stop the other rider's horse. I hurry to catch up, just in case they're on the verge of starting up again (I'm fast, but not that fast).

But as I approach the scene, I can tell things are not as I originally thought.

As the female rider dismounts- or at least attempts to dismounts but ends up failing as she tried to get off- the guy ends up dismounting as well, trying to help her up from the looks of it, but she's having none of it.

"You didn't tell me how to stop her!"

Hell, I'm not even the one getting yelled out and I stop in place. I'm also frozen in place by another reason that eludes me at the moment.

Gosh, that sounds so...familiar. Just the yelling- it's kinda weird.

The guy isn't too fazed though, in fact, he keeps trying to help her.

"My apologies, it slipped my mind, but are you all right?"

This time, the fiery female gets to her feet- and she's not done her scream fest. Damn, I must have walked in on a couple's argument- yay me.

"No, I'm not alright! I'm fucking pissed! You enrage me! Killing innocent people because you want to. Torturing them for crimes they didn't do. You're a psycho!"