Chapter 16

For the first time in forever it seems, I can finally with no bad feelings go visit Nando's again. This time I am fully focused on not taking more than one portion of frozen yogurt.

I have my new jeansjacket on, a black oversized sweather mixed with a brown bag.
My belly growls. Yelling for food to refill it. As I find a free table in the back I order the same spicy chicken bacon burger as always. After a few chewings Niall comes by.

"Hello, what's the craic?"

"Homework, homework, homework." I sigh, rolling my purple orbs theaterically. "I wouldn't call that fun though. How about you? Is that album coming up soon?"

A tiny irish blush is rising up his throat colouring it rosy pink as he scratches his neck.

"Eeehm... no. But speaking of music, do you play any musical instrument or sing or anything?"

I stop chewing. Mouth full. Niall watches me back behind those charcoal orblashes. A distinct taste of chicken occupiyng my tongue when I really should say something. Is this his suggestion for our next meeting? Or just a way to get to know me?

"Actually I do. I'm a drummer."

I even take the opportunity to show off a solo on the plastic table between my plate and the square edge. Thanking my guardian angel afterwards that it was acapella when I notice how off beat to We will rock you it was.

Niall doesn't seem to notice, or he's ignoring it completely while zeroing in on my burger. A little too late his face lightens up. Like the sun returning after being covered by dark clouds a stormy summer night. Crystal blue orbs once again filled with pure irish joy.

"That's perfect! We need a solo, maybe you can play that part if you'd like?"

His orbs becomes watery with tears due to the happiness and relief over that he has finally found someone. Me myself the heart is skipping several beats. What should I feel? He is asking me. The irish blonde guy with the sexy irish accent is asking me. Why should I say no?

"Yes, of course."

He pulls out a chair, it's legs squeeking against the floor, and sits down in front of me. Putting his fingers together. Still smiling. This time very irishly.

"When do you need me?" I ask.

"This weekend would be good."

My head is spinning. My world is spinning. Spinning real fast. I can't believe I am actually going to be a part of a song. They could hire anybody, so why me? Music world must be sleeping or, more likely, being currently dead right now.

"How long have you been playing?" Niall asks with his sexy irish accent, his irishness sneaking through.

"Since the age of ten. I practice a lot, at least four hours a week."

He smiles. Showing all of his Colgate white teeth.

"Sounds like you are a good drummer."

"I am."

All in for the confidential talk I add a confident smile.

"Do you want to play cards?" he suddenly asks, interrupting my proud feelings.

"Doesn't you have work to do?" I shoot back.

"I'm on a break."

"Then why not."

I drop my palms to my burger. Watch him under unpainted lashes as he fumbles out a package of cards from his white sleeve. I immediatley think of how ironic this is. He is sitting here, by my table, when he wouldn't have to work at all and is now pulling a cardgame out from his clothes as if his motto was - well wherever you are there is always time for cards. He is litterally having an irish ace inside his sleeve. Or four to be exact. All of them.

Double win.

As he teaches me a game called Slapjack I finish my burger. While playing, finishing my french fries too, which in the end all we manage to accomplish is me cheating while trying to look at his cards because I didn't get the rules. The reaction I face in his crystal blue orbs is how they grow watery again. It hits me like a canonball over sea. Nick never cries. Niall cries all the time.

He prepare the table for another round, constantly trailing off with irish jokes. Telling me how his day was and places he would like to visit some day. To my growing surprise the answer of the latter is Siberia. But not the one I'm thinking of in Russia.
This Siberia lies in Ireland.