Chapter 19

The days are ticking by like cookies on a table. As soon as they're out no one can keep themselves from eating.
Hours turns into days, days turns into weeks and weeks turns into the last day before Prom.

Kylie looks extraordinary beautiful as she lets her rosy pink dress fall over her naked legs. For me, I wish I'd never said yes. It will keep me stuck inside a hypervigilance as heart racing as an entire year on the run, always taking off.

"Sure you don't want any make up?" Kylie asks with her sweet norweigan accent.

"It's Prom." she adds with a serious expression as she sees the look on my face.

I separate my lips.

"Yeah, I'm sure."

Kylie smiles.

"I see... The all-natural look. Only kinda reversed."

As I rise the purple dress rustles around my feet. The strapless creation billowing down in an elegant flow. All in purple. The colour is carefully chosen to pick out my orbs.

I pick up the mascarabrush and look at it as if it was a disgusting bug crawling up on me. If it's true that thing about everyone being beautiful just as they are, why do people then wear make up? It doesn't make any sense.

When I let my hair up in a bun decorated with tiny, but oh so many glimmering stones, the final touch is set. And it's shining.
Kylie puts a thick layor of wine red lipstick on her small lips and smack them together. A scale of darkbrown orbshadow exposing her stormy gray orbs.

"Now let's pick up our partners!"

She seize my hand as she bursts out of the house. My red Ford Fiesta is parked outside as usuall. Though we didn't want to waste any money on a Limo we decided to let the one with her driving license do what she does best.

---

The leafy branches from high trees are dancing in the wind as I pull up at Nick's driveway. The weather is perfect. A golden sun shining against a deep blue sky. I could never have imagined it could be that difficult driving in a dress. My legs are tangled inside smooth silk and the purple stonefilled necklace is part of a constant distraction.

My fingers flies over the keys as I turn off the engine. I stumple on those bloody heels, awfully high, almost falling but saving myself just in time before I smack the ground. Saving my body from changing colour into an all too sharp shade of red. Thanks to the open cardoor I didn't humiliate myself with kissing dirty pavement. That would really have maked a memory out of this.

"You look gorgeous!"

My head immediatley flies up. Nick's voice comes from the doorway. He sounds excited.
He closes the door shut and walks towards the car to help me inside. An act I strongly try to resist.

"You know, heels or not, I can get into my own car by myself."

"It didn't look like it when you stumpled out in that gorgeous dress."

I push him away.

"Get in here."

I patch the seat beside me with my right hand.
Kylie gives her guy, Guy, a sweet peck on the cheek. He takes her under his arm and they walk as a couple from a romantic french movie over the black pavement I almost kissed. The old dusty Ford is way too crappy to make them justice. It makes a lump of envy swirl inside my stomach.

"Are you two like together now?" I shout from the unwinded carwindow.

Kylie smirks.

"You're so gullible Rose."

I stare at her. Confused, don't really understand what she's pointing at. Then she sighs. Rolling her stormy gray orbs dramatically.

"Seriously, it's all just an act. I am determined to be this year's Prom Queen."

"Get into the car!"

I wind up the window, my right foot hovering over the gaspedal. Muttering some words of bitterness while Kylie and Guy take a place for themselves at the back. I change gears into reversed and turn the Ford right around the corner. Reaching the speedlimit almost immediatley.

---

When we arrive at the parking lot behind the school's gymhall I feel my heart drop. Then skyrocket. It feels like it could fly to the moon and back within only seconds.

I turn off the engine. Then starting it again, finishing the for once failed parking I began.
Inside my body, inside the shell of smooth silk my dress has created around the soft skin, my consiousness seem to shiver. My heart poundering harder and harder. In utter panic but this time I'm not sure if it's only that. I can feel something else digging deep down. Something under the wet feeling of sweatdrops adhering from my back.

I know the invitations were completely free. Everybody could invite anybody, but I hadn't expected this.

Climbing out of Clarisse's car in the bright dayliht I can clearly see the contures of the irishly irish boy I have spent so much time with lately. The irishly worldfamous popstar who both has managed to hold my jacket and my heart. The only one I don't want to see together with her.

Niall is going to Prom with Clarisse.