Creepy Stalker

When the episode ends, I look over at Gavin.
“That’s it? What happened to Reese? Why didn’t she thank Dr. Charles?”
He shrugs, a smile creeping onto his face.
“Then what about Natalie and Will? There is clearly some chemistry there, but why were they divided on the whole ‘save the baby or make him comfortable’ thing?!”
“What would you do if you were in that situation, Skye? If the baby is born too early, would you let the kid grow up with health problems and possible mental retardation? Or would you make the little one as comfortable as possible?”
I find myself placing my hand over my stomach. I pull my hand away, but not before Gavin’s eyes look down and his expression twists. His eyes suddenly go wide.
“Are you pregnant?”
“No!”
“Skye, I don’t care if you are pregnant. Whoever he is, he’s a lucky guy.”
“No. He’s a jerk who left me the minute he found out.”
Anger covers Gavin’s face in seconds.
“He what?”
“He left me when he found out I was pregnant. Blamed me for seducing him and convincing him to cheat on his fiancée.”
“Did you?”
“Gosh no! What was I supposed to do, say no and get fired? He was my boss!”
I cover my mouth the second the words leave my lips. That. Wasn’t. Supposed. To. Happen.
“You slept with your boss?”
“It was one night! His Christmas party! He had too much to drink and one thing led to another. Now I’m pregnant with his baby.”
Now the truth is out. I mentally prepare myself for the reaction.
“Were you a live-in maid?”
Not relevant to this conversation, but okay. Not what I was expecting either.
“Yes, why?”
“Where are you staying now?”
“A motel off the highway. Why does that matter?”
He shakes his head, standing up. He starts pacing.
“I won’t be able to sleep knowing that you are sleeping in a crappy, rundown motel tonight.”
I would correct him on the crappy and rundown part if it wasn’t true. It’s what I can afford to make my money last longer since I’ll need groceries and gas.
“You’ve met me a total of, what? Two or three times now? You’ll sleep just fine.”
“I know what happens in motels. I won’t sleep a wink if I know there is a pretty girl there, unsafe and unprotected.”
I blush at his words. He called me pretty. Oh my god. I’m acting like such a teenager right now.
“Stay with me.”
His words catch me off guard. Did he just ask what I think he asked?
“Excuse me?”
“It’s safer than a motel and it won’t cost you.”
“But then I’ll feel bad. I’ll be using all your utilities and you’ll be paying higher bills for it.”
Why am I not arguing something stronger? I just met you. I don’t know you that well. I don’t sleep in the apartment of strangers. No. I pick the utilities excuse. What kind of person am I?
“You can spend a few nights singing down at the bar if you want. Then we can call it even.”
He sounds so hopeful. Gavin’s ocean blue eyes meet mine. We stare at each other silently for a while, but it’s not awkward.
“Fine. I’ll stay one night. If you are some kind of creepy stalker, I’m leaving.”
His eyes light up and the biggest smile breaks out across his face. He looks like a kid on Christmas morning that just woke up to a room full of gifts.
“I’m going to ignore the ‘creepy stalker’ comment.”
“I mean it.”
“I’m sure you do. For now, why don’t I introduce you to another frustratingly good show?”
I respond without an ounce of hesitation.
“I’m in.”