Let The Games Begin {6}

“The thought of you is no fucking fun!”

                “Kellin Quinn. Shut your sexy face,” I groaned, slapping around until I had turned Skylar’s alarm clock off.

                Skylar and I sat up and he hugged me to himself. “Are you okay?” he asked, kissing my neck.

                I nodded and blushed in embarrassment. “I, uh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to get like that last night. I swear I’m fine,” I said, forcing a smile.

                “Hey, don’t apologize. And don’t lie to me. You’re not fine, and you know it. But let’s get ready for school. We can talk tonight if you want to,” he said.

                We crawled out of bed and got ready for school before going outside. We got in the back of Seth’s car, the usual Breathe Carolina blasting out of the speakers.

                We got out at school and went inside. I gulped a little as I saw Cameron make his way over to us. He ignored me as he stepped up to Seth. They began to talk casually.

                Lunchtime. Lunchtime I would tell him to back off a little. I would let him know that I was uncomfortable with his flirting.

                The warning bell rang and the four of us walked to first period together. I sat down next to Skylar and sighed. Another boring day of school, here I come.

                The teacher, Ms. Kirkland, began to pass back papers. “These were your writing assignments,” she announced as the late bell rang overhead. She set mine down and walked away to another kid.

                I grinned as I gripped the paper. I looked at Skylar smugly. “I bet I got a better grade than you,” I said, sticking out my tongue as he grabbed his paper.

                Skylar rolled his eyes. “Well duh. You’re the one that wants to be an author when he grows up. I sure hope you did better on your short story than me,” he said.

                I flipped my paper over happily. My eyes locked on the grade and I felt my stomach drop a little. I ripped my eyes away from the “F-” scribbled in red pen.

                “What did you get?” I asked Skylar, keeping up a bright smile.

                “B-,” he said, glancing at his paper. “What about you?”

                I pretended not to hear him as I turned to Seth. “Sethy! What did you get?” I asked, bouncing in my seat a little.

                Seth glanced down at his paper curiously. “Uh…I got a C+,” he said, smiling a little. “I actually passed something!”

                I shoved my paper in my bag, smiling pleasantly. Ms. Kirkland made her way over to me, and I mentally groaned.

                “Jakey, what were you thinking when you wrote that crap? It was horrible. I think it hurt my eyes to read it. One of the worst short stories I’ve ever read in my life,” she said flatly, loud enough for the class to hear.

                I blushed deeply. “I, uh…you said we could write about what we wanted to as long as it was appropriate. My short story was appropriate,” I mumbled.

                “It was appropriate. But it was terribly written. No structure. I heard Mr. Skidmore say you wanted to be an author. Maybe you should rethink that,” she said before walking up to the front of the classroom to teach.