Let The Games Begin {26}

“That’s your plan? Skylar, are you sure this is going to work?” Seth asked nervously.

                I shook my head and sighed. “Seth, I have no idea if this is going to work. But it’s the only chance we have at this point. Do you have a better idea?”

                He shook his head and his shoulders slumped in defeat. “Nope. God I hope this works. We have to get Jakey away from Cameron!”

                “We will. I’m going to head to Cameron’s house now. When Jakey gets here, tell him I’m out at the store with my mom,” I said, hopping off my bed and pulling my shoes on. Jakey had stayed afterschool for math help.

                “Good luck,” Seth said quietly.

                I left and made my way to Cameron’s house. I pulled my phone out and pushed “record”. I would record this entire conversation with Cameron and let Jakey hear it.

                I rang the doorbell and Cameron’s mom answered. She let me into the house and watched me thoughtfully as I slid my shoes off.

                “Cam’s smart. Good luck,” she mumbled before leaving me alone.

                I shook my head in confusion before heading upstairs to Cameron’s room. I knocked on his door and he opened it.

                He stared at me before sighing and letting me into his bedroom. He shut the door and locked it before going over and dropping onto his bed. He glanced at me lazily.

                “What do you want now Skylar?” he demanded.

                “I want you to stop fucking with Jakey,” I said as calmly as I could. “You’re inside his head and you know it. It has to stop. You’re hurting him.”

                “You’re the one who keeps insulting him and questioning his loyalty to you,” Cameron said angrily. “You bastard.”

                I stared at him, honestly confused. “I never insulted Jakey!” I snapped, quickly losing my patience. Oh shit. Clam down Skylar. Just get a grip on your temper long enough for Cameron to reveal how much of an asshole he was.

                “Why are you lying? You know you did. You need to stop being such a jerk to him. You claim you love him, but then you go and talk shit about him behind his back,” he snarled.

                I stared at him, disbelief coloring my face. What the fuck was he talking about? When had I ever gone behind Jakey’s back?

                A grin spread on Cameron’s face. “Nice try,” he mouthed, pointing at the pocket my cell phone was in.

                I looked down but didn’t notice anything that could have revealed I was recording the conversation. There was a bulge in my pocket that was the shape of my phone, but that was always there.

                “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I lied flatly.

                “I’m talking about all the times you bitched about poor Jakey. He’s such a good guy, and you go lying to him and saying you’re in love with him. Then you and Seth bash him,” he said, his voice disgusted but the grin still on his face.

                “I’m not stupid,” he mouthed, the look in his eyes so smug that I almost felt sick.

                “Leave Jakey alone,” I whispered, my heart aching. I was sick of Cameron. Sick of this stupid game he was playing with us. “Please. He never did anything wrong to you. I’ll do anything if you just leave Jakey alone.”