Let The Games Begin {14}

The next day, we showered separately, something we rarely did. We didn’t talk as we made our way out to Seth’s car. I got in the back, and Skylar slid in the front.

                We picked up Cameron and drove to school. We were silent, and the only noise was Breathe Carolina once again blaring out of Seth’s speakers.

                We got out of the car at school and Seth slid over to me. He frowned deeply. “What’s wrong with him?” he asked.

                “Nothing,” I mumbled. I would fix it.

                We went to first period and sat down. I dropped my eyes to the ground as the period crawled by slowly. I couldn’t meet Skylar’s eyes. He actually thought I would freaking cheat on him!

                Lunch came around and I sat outside in the awkward silence that had been consuming the four of us all day. I mentally sighed and got up, deciding to get a slushie.

                I moved towards the door and felt someone shove me. I staggered to the side before steadying myself and turning in my confusion.

                “Oh. Hi Sawyer,” I said nervously.

                Sawyer, the homophobic prick, grinned down at me. His best friend, Eric, who happened to look exactly like cthulhu, smirked.

                “Hey fag boy,” Sawyer said, shoving me again.

                I caught my balance and began to back away. I definitely did not want to start a fight and get in trouble.

                Eric grabbed my arm and yanked me forward, his smirk growing. He held my arms behind me and spun me so that I faced Sawyer.

                “I’ll do you a favor and beat the fag right out of you,” Sawyer said, balling up his fist and letting it fly at me.

                I gagged as his fist made contact with my stomach. “That wasn’t pleasant,” I moaned and coughed twice.

                Sawyer hit me again and I whimpered a little. He pulled back his fist to hit me again as I tried to struggle away from Eric.

                Sawyer yelped and stumbled forward, rubbing the back of his head. He glared and spun around to face Skylar.

                “Let go of him,” Skylar snarled dangerously, glaring at Eric.

                Eric released me and shoved me at Skylar. Skylar caught me and glared at them again.

                “Don’t ever let me see you touching Jakey again!” he snapped.

                Sawyer and Eric glared right back before storming inside. Skylar sighed and turned to me, concern in his eyes.

                “Are you okay?” he asked.

                “It wasn’t what it looked like. I was upset, and he was comforting me,” I said, begging him with my eyes. I didn’t care about being hit. I just didn’t want my Skylar mad at me anymore.

                “Did he upset you?” Skylar asked, anger flashing through his eyes.

                I shook my head violently. “It was…he didn’t mean to. He doesn’t know, Sky,” I said quietly.