Let The Games begin {15}

***Jakey’s POV***

                I cracked my eyes open slowly and rolled over. I pouted at the alarm clock on Skylar’s nightstand. I didn’t have to be awake for another three minutes!

                “I will fall asleep,” I mumbled in tired determination.

                I rolled back over and cuddled up against Skylar’s warm body. I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling exhausted.

                “I’m no good for you! This heart ain’t built for two!”

                I jumped up in shock and groaned loudly as Skylar leaned over and turned the alarm off. He wrapped his arms around me and gave me a worried frown.

                “Have trouble sleeping?” he asked.

                I groaned again and nodded. “I fell asleep 20 minutes again,” I whined.

                Skylar kissed me deeply and we got out of his bed together. Cameron and Seth got up and Cameron went to shower downstairs. Skylar and I showered together quickly before getting dressed for school.

                “I am running on 20 minutes of sleep. School is going to be hell,” I said miserably.

                “Do you want to skip?” Skylar asked.

                I shook my head and sighed. I would just go to school, suffer through it, come home, have a BFC, and go to work with Seth. Blah, yea. That could be my plan.

                We went outside and got in Seth’s car. I rested my head on Skylar’s shoulder and he wrapped his arms around me.

                We got to school and he let me hop on his back, carrying me up the hill and into the building. We went to first period together and sat down.

                Realizing I had about two minutes before the bell rang, I rested my head on my desk and closed my tired eyes. My thoughts had been swirling around, preventing me from sleeping last night. I was too afraid I would have another nightmare. Exhaustion was a million times better than terror.

                “JAKE!”

                My head shot up and I looked around in confusion before meeting Ms. Kirkland’s furious gaze. She had her hands on her hips and was glaring at me.

                “You know, maybe if you could stay awake and pay attention for once in your life, you wouldn’t fail everything in my class. Kids like you disgust me. You come to school just to sleep and goof off. You might as well drop out. You’ll never make anything out of yourself!”

                I looked at her, feeling small as the class watched in amusement. I wished she would stop and just leave me alone, but she continued.

                “You say you want to be a writer, but you have the worst writing skills I’ve ever had the displeasure of laying my eyes on. You won’t ever be a writer. You’ll be lucky if you even get to be a janitor. You’re going nowhere with your life. Just another pathetic kid with a pointless dream. Now pay attention for once in your worthless life!”

                Kids snickered and laughed a little as Ms. Kirkland stormed up to the front of the classroom, her face bright red from shouting.