Let The Games Begin {29}

I tried to stop my shaking. I didn’t want to wake Skylar up with it. But my thoughts were sending trembles throughout my entire body.

                I was curled up against Skylar in his bed. My arms were around him tightly. He had one arm slung across my chest. He was sound asleep, looking more peaceful than I had seen him in a while.

                I was too terrified to let go of him. I was afraid that if I did, he would disappear. My mind kept replaying everything that had happened at my grandma’s house earlier. Every word Skylar had said was screaming in my ears. When I closed my eyes, all I saw was his cold, determined expression.

                But Cameron was also on my mind. Had Skylar been telling the truth? Could somebody really be as twisted as Skylar and Seth had made Cam out to be?

                “Maybe it will all work out like in the movies, but I know that Romeo must die before the ending. With a final poison kiss delivered gently, because you don’t get lucky twice, and that’s the truth.”

                Skylar groaned and rolled over, shutting his alarm off. He sat up and I sat up with him, keeping my arms around him, too terrified to let go.

                Skylar looked at me and his eyes softened. He gripped my hands and gently pulled them away from his body. “I’m not going to leave you Jakey. I promise. You can’t hold onto me forever. You have to trust that I’m not going to leave,” he said.

                We got out of his bed and showered before going outside. Seth pulled into the driveway, and Skylar and I got in the car. I kept my head down, too ashamed to speak. They must hate me.

                “Jakey, you’re never quiet! Quit freaking me out,” Seth said, chucking an empty pack of gum at my head.

                I gave him a weak smile. Skylar took my hand in his and gave it an encouraging squeeze. He smiled at me.

                “Yea, come on. I hate seeing you look so sad,” he said. “Please be happy, Jakey.”

                I forced a bright smile onto my face. My head was pounding from the lack of sleep and all the confusion with Cam, but if Skylar wanted me to be happy, I would pretend to be happy.

                Skylar squeezed my hand again and kissed me gently. “Once we fix everything today, we can go out to dinner or something. A date. It’ll be nice,” he said.

                I nodded, trying to slip back into my old self. Goofy, fun-loving Jakey Kantor. I had to go back to that act for Skylar’s sake. I owed him that. I owed him so much more than that, actually, but it was a starting place.

                “Yea! A date!” I said brightly. “And we can all go to the movies sometime, just so that Seth doesn’t feel left out.”

                “I am honored,” Seth said, bowing a little as he put the car in park.

                We got out and made our way up the hill and into the main lobby of the school. I looked around, trying to act casual. Inside, I was terrified and praying that Cameron wasn’t here today.

                Skylar wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me towards himself, kissing my neck. “I love you Jakey,” he said, resting his chin on my shoulder.

                I turned and kissed his cheek. “I love you too Skylar,” I said honestly. I never wanted him to remove his hands. I wanted him to just hold me like this forever.