Let The Games Begin {17}

“Blah, blah AMERICANO!” I screamed as we listened to music in Seth’s car.

                Skylar rolled his eyes and kissed my forehead. “You should probably learn the lyrics before you try to sing along,” he pointed out as I began to bounce along to the song.

                “Psh, I’m not Italian!” I said.

                “Jakey…yes you are,” Skylar said with a hopeless sigh.

                I thought for a minute before grinning. “Oh yea! I am Italian!” I cried joyfully.

                The joyful smiled slipped off my face. Every Sunday when I was a little boy, we used to have a big dinner. My momma used to love to cook us big family dinners. But then it happened, and I ended up with my grandma. No more mom and dad.

                “Jakey?”

                Skylar nervously shook my shoulder. The look in his eyes told me that he knew what I was thinking about.

                “I…” I bit my lip and hugged Skylar tightly. I missed them. So much. I missed my parents.

                I missed everyone I had ever lost.

                “Hey, I’m always here for you. Always. And so is Seth,” Skylar whispered so that only I could hear him.

                We got to Skylar’s house and went inside. We went to the living room and sat down together on the couches.

                “Well, I’m bored,” Cameron said after a few minutes of us sitting there in complete silence.

                “We could swim?” Skylar offered.

                We got up and changed before heading out to Skylar’s pool. Skylar set up speakers and let The Ready Set blast out as we jumped in the pool.

                “GIVE ME YOUR HAND!” I sang along, jumping onto Skylar’s back.

                “Jakey you’re such a spaz,” Cameron said, shaking his head at me.

                I grinned at him and stuck my tongue out. Skylar shifted so that I was sitting on his shoulders so we could play chicken.

                Cameron got on Seth’s shoulders and came at us. I grabbed Cameron’s hands and we began to shove each other roughly.

                “I’m winning this time!” I said in determination.

                “Hey Jakey?”

                “Yes Cameron?”

                “Losersaywhat?”

                “…Wait, what?”

                I let out a little shriek as Cameron shoved me backwards roughly. Skylar and I toppled into the water together and broke the surface choking a little.

                Cameron grinned as Seth lowered him off his shoulders. “I remembered to pull my hands out of your grip this time,” he said.

                I pouted. “It was an accident! I just forgot to let go,” I whined. Sheesh, was he ever going to let that incident go?!