02 | Pitch

NYLA'S HEELS CLACKED on the wooden floor as she exited the elevator and made her way to the office. She loved entering the building and hearing the sound of chattering employees, it meant that they were still in business and doing their best to be even more successful.

Her office was located in the corner of the top floor, but it provided her with an excellent view of Central Park. There was something therapeutic about having a green borough in a sea of tall buildings and powerful people.

Nyla set down her green tea before taking unbuttoning her black blazer. A newspaper lay on her desk and she smiled to herself while reading the headline.

Philanthropic millionaire Darrius Giordano buys painting at Children's Charity Auction

Settling down in her leather arm chair, Nyla began reading the rest of the article. However, when she finished the ending, she was no longer smiling. The article discussed her as well and how the two of them were seated at a single table. Then it went further on to talk about how she participated in the auction and lost. It made her look bad.

There was a knock on her door and she cleared her throat before yelling, "Come in."

Her assistant, Hyeon stood on the other side with a large stack of folders which she promptly dropped onto her desk.

"You have a meeting with George to sign off on the financial statements, a lunch with Zoey at the steakhouse down the street, at least three calls from reporters including Sona, and an emergency board meeting," Hyeon check her watch, "in five minutes."

Nyla stood up a bit straighter after hearing the last part. "What do you mean I have a board meeting? Wasn't that scheduled for next week?"

Hyeon shrugged her shoulders. "They called on your phone but because you weren't picking up, they talked to George instead who said it was fine for them to come today. It sounded serious." she added before pushing the bridge of her glasses higher up her nose.

Nyla swore under her breath. She had viewed the financial statements earlier and knew that the company was not heading in the direction she hoped for. She only wished that she had enough time to come up with a solution before being forced to stand in a room full of people who were ready to fire in the second she made a mistake.

"Did you get in contact with Marcus?"

Her assistant looked confused. "Did you want me to? I thought you only wanted to know more information about him."

Nyla took a deep breath. This was not good. She was supposed to introduce herself at the gala but between Sona's nagging and the battle between Darius and her, she completely forgot. This day was getting better by the minute. Tapping her foot nervously on the wooden floor she looked up at the photo of her mentor on the desk. She needed to think, what would Raymond do if he was in this situation?

She immediately shook her head. No, she didn't need to think the way Raymond did. In fact, if the company wanted to be successful, she needed to step out of Raymond's thinking and begin her own path. After all, she was at the ships helm and this was a sink or swim situation.

"Ms. Malhotra," Hyeon gently prodded. "You should make your way to the board room now."

Nyla nodded and slipped on her blazer. She picked up the files from her desk and took a deep breath. "I need someone to do meeting minutes,"

"I'll do it." Hyeon volunteered.

Nyla shook her head. "No, send someone else. I need you to get in contact with Marcus and try to secure a meeting with him as soon as possible. Move things around if you have to, but I must speak with him."