22 | Photoshoot

NYLA SHIELDED HER eyes as a bright light went off, nearly blinding her.

"Good, you're finally here." A lean man, wearing tan loafers and a huge camera around his neck scrutinized her. "Tina get this woman some appropriate clothes!"

Nyla looked down at her outfit and frowned. She thought she had done a pretty decent job of dressing up in a cashmere sweater dress and a pair of black pumps.

"I'm Kory, the photographer," the man introduced himself by placing a kiss on each check. "My assistant will get you prepped right away for the shoot."

Nyla barely had time to introduce herself before she was whisked into a dressing room by a tiny, curvy women whom she assumed was Tina.

"I thought this was going to be a more professional photoshoot."

Tina glanced at her critically. "Last minute changes, Vogue decided to go a different direction." She rolled her eyes while flipping though the clothing rack in the corner. "It drives Kory and I nuts when they just inform us hours before our models are set to arrive!"

Nyla nodded.

"I'm going to need you to strip out of your clothes honey."

"Is there a bathroom where I can go?"

Tina stopped shuffling through the clothes before letting out a soft laugh. "Darling, there is no privacy in modeling. Just strip right here. It's not like I haven't seen it all before." A devious glint came to her eyes. "We have a stud muffin coming right after you, I can't wait for him to strip. Maybe you'll get to see him as well?"

Nyla knew that Tina was trying to make her more comfortable, but it wasn't working. She slowly kicked off her heels before stripping out of the dress. Tina turned around and poked her belly.

"Flat stomach, hint of abs, do you exercise?"

Nyla was extremely tempted to slap her hands away from her body, but she refrained. "Yes, I do yoga and boxing regularly."

Tina's eyes lit up at the mention of boxing. "Interesting choice girl."

"You have stretch marks near your thighs, but the dress chosen should cover it. If not, it will be air brushed anyways when we are editing," she said in a matter-of-fact tone.

Nyla didn't like the comment. It had taken her a while to accept that she had stretch marks on each of her legs and to have it air-brush would be like loosing something fundamental that played a big role in her identity.

"I'd like to keep them in the photos."

Tina shrugged her shoulders. "You'll have to speak with the editor then."

She gave Nyla a robe before showing her the outfits she would be wearing. There were two power suits, but it was the soft feminine pale blue dress that took her breath away. She fingered the material, it felt like silk beneath her hands, but Tina swatted her hand away. "That's for the last shot."

She took the black and white suit off the rack and passed it over to her. "We are going to start with this first."

Nyla changed into the striped suit. The sleeves tapered out at the ends, creating a bat-like affect. The pants were equally wide and hid the six-inch red stilettos she was wearing. Nyla liked the suit, for the most part. What she did not like was the plunging neckline.

Tina passed her some tape while fussing around the rest of her outfit. "Tape the inside to make sure nothing spills."

Nyla did as she was told, still highly uncomfortable. That's when Kory walked in, camera still in hand. "Change the lipstick to red and style her hair all the way to the back," he said to Tina.