23 | Yoga

NYLA STEPPED INTO the gym, yoga mat in hand. She climbed the stairs to the second floor where the class filled with mostly women was already packed. There were conversations going on between the ladies and Nyla slipped to the back hoping that she could avoid everyone.

It wasn't that the women weren't friendly, because they were. However, Nyla just preferred to do her yoga in peace and silence. She loved doing yoga outdoors, but the weather was getting much colder making in impossible for her to do that. She laid out her mat before stretching her body, the class was about to begin in a couple of minutes.

Nyla's eyes were closed, as she focused on her breathing. She ignored the voices around her and counted her breaths. Everyday, Nyla liked to clear out her head and focus on herself. Her life was so busy and these few minutes where she internally reflected were important for her sanity. Here nothing that was happening at Renne mattered, it was all about her.

"Okay class, it's time to begin."

The instructors voice echoed through the room, and Nyla opened her eyes again to see most people sitting on their mats. She looked to her right and did a double take. She couldn't believe what she saw.

Darius was seated beside her on a black mat wearing a pair of grey joggers and a white sleeveless shirt. Nyla could seat the outline of his biceps and the muscles. Her fingers itched to run hand over them before she controlled herself. Darius opened his eyes and they met Nyla's.

What are you doing here? She mouthed.

He raised an eyebrow and Nyla understood that he hadn't been able to read her lips.

She repeated the question in a slight whisper.

"Yoga, what else does it look like?"

She was about to say something else but quite a few heads turned their way. It looked like they hadn't been as silent as they had hoped.

"Now we are going to move from the locus to Adho mukha svanasana."

Nyla did as she was told and watched as Darius did as well with ease. He did yoga often, she realized. His movements weren't stiff, and he knew what he was doing. It seemed like the other ladies were also enthralled as the back of the room was getting more looks then it ever had before.

Nyla tried blocking out Darius and focusing on holding the next position, Bakasana but she was distracted by the conversation that the instructor and Darius were having.

"I haven't seen you before."

"Yes, it's my first time here."

Nyla opened her eyes slightly and her position wavered as she watched the instructor compliment Darius' pose. Then she turned towards Nyla, "You might want to arch your back more."

Nyla scowled and watched her retreating figure. Beside her, Darius' eyes were filled with mirth. Clearly, he found it funny that she was being corrected. So, she did the only thing she could and stuck out her tongue at him like a child.

Her smiled widened. "I could always show you the correct way. Beatrice seems to think I have a great form."

"Fuck off," she said aggressively.

"Is that the way to speak to a yoga master?"

"Yoga master my ass." 

Darius laughed, a low sound—but it caught the attention of the females around him. She scowled even further.

"Partner up with the person to your right and one person will be on the ground while the other person will place their stomach on the ball of their feet."