17 | Explosion

"MS. MALHOTRA, WHAT is your response to the recent attacks?"

A microphone was pushed into her face before the flash of a camera nearly blinded her. Nyla did not know what was going on. The entrance of the Renne Headquarters was buzzing with reporters. Last time she'd check, she hadn't particularly done anything newsworthy.

Anthony helped her navigate the crowd. "At this time, Ms. Malhotra will not be commenting," he shouted over the loud voices of the crowd.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, she was able to slip into the building. She straightened her suit before walking towards the elevator. She found Anthony following her behind, phone pressed to his ear and she cocked an eyebrow.

"I've got her now. We are coming up."

Nyla stood in the corner watching the buttons light up as they went higher and higher.

"Who was that?"

"Hyeon."

"Why is she calling you?" Nyla pressed on.

Anthony held open the elevator and Nyla stepped out. "You're going to find out soon enough."

Sure enough, the top floor was in pandemonium. Sawyer—her lawyer was present as was almost every executive. The C-Suits were bursting with people. Nyla looked at the boardroom and she was almost certain that every shareholder was present. Hyeon ran towards her.

"I have eight media outlets calling for a comment, what should I say?"

Sawyer followed behind her. "She can't say anything right now, we need to release a press statement," her eyes scanned the room, "where is the Public Relations Director?"

Hyeon grimaced. "Downstairs, she's trying to get into the building but it's impossible with this crowd."

More people came up to her and began asking questions. The noise was just too loud for Nyla and she absentmindedly massaged her temples. More people badgered her for answers, but Nyla couldn't hear the words.

"Enough!" she shouted.

Everyone in the room froze and there was pin drop silence. "Now, would anyone like to tell me what is going on here?"

It was Hyeon who passed her the newspaper. Nyla quickly scanned the paper and after reaching the end, she felt something creeping up in her stomach. She was going to throw up.

"Drink this," a softer voice said.

George passed her a glass of water and Nyla downed it quickly.

Dead. There were six people dead in the new vitamin line division factory. An explosion had occurred last night.

She was responsible for this. It was her job to keep the employees safe and she had failed. Numbly, Nyla walked towards her office. She was aware of the looks she was receiving from the other employees, but she ignored them. Instead, Nyla shut the door softly and walked away from the world momentarily.

Nyla dropped her bag on the empty chair. Her phone was lighting up with messages, but she ignored them. She looked at the view from her office and for the first time, she felt a bit scared of the height. Raymond had trusted her with this view, and his people—she'd let them down.

Nyla wasn't stupid enough to take all the blame, but she did shoulder some responsibility. She took a deep breath in, trying to calm her nerves. Her ship was on fire, so she needed to lead and set an example as the captain now, more than ever.

She picked up the landline before placing it back down. The lines to Hyeon's phone were probably busy right now. Instead she called for Hyeon.

Seconds later, Hyeon stumbled inside which made Nyla believe that her secretary was probably lurking just behind her door for the last few minutes.

C - SuiteOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara