04 | Golf

"YOU ARE CLEARLY cheating!"

"And you are clearly delusional!"

Darius turned to Marcus, "Don't tell me you didn't see her foot move the ball."

Marcus looked like he was about to say something but then stepped back.

"That wasn't me," Nyla argued. "It was the wind."

"Ha, that's the excuse all cheaters make."

Nyla was fired up. She didn't like being accused of something that she didn't do. "Unlike you, I don't need to cheat to win."

"Oh, that was a cold one." Vincent interjected.

Nyla and Darius both glared at him simultaneously.

Vincent sighed. "This was supposed to be a fun and entertaining game; you guys have taken that all out."

"Well maybe you shouldn't play golf because you are the worse player I've ever seen." Darius shot back.

Vincent looked offended and made a move to step towards Darius but before he could Marcus smoothly cut in and sighed. "I think I made a mistake here. You guys are all wonderful golfers but the suns setting, and dinner is being served inside. I don't know about you, but I'm hungry."

Nyla looked around the golf course realizing for the first time that it was empty. Most of the golfers went back inside the club for dinner and drinks and it was only the four of them out there. They had been playing golf for hours now and as much as Nyla hated to admit it, playing with them was fun. They were worthy opponents that were competitive and didn't care that she was a female. They all wanted to win—especially Darius.

Nyla moved towards the cart, "Since I won, I guess I get to drive us back."

Darius stepped in before she could get to the driver's seat. "You only won because you were cheating, I get to drive."

Nyla wasn't having it. She dogged his leg and sat in the front seat. "Get in, or you'll be left behind."

Sighing, the rest of the men made it back in the cart and that's when Nyla stepped on the gas.

"Where did you find this chick?" She heard Vincent asking Marcus.

She winced at the words, she hated the work chick. It made a woman seem so air-headed and inferior, but Marcus' answer had her smiling.

"In a coffee shop, I'll admit it, she impressed me. Knows a lot about business and I suppose golf too."

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Darius staring at her, so she smiled and drove on.

♠♠♠♠♠♠

Nyla stepped out in her forest green dress which she had worn with a pair of sheer tights and a gold statement necklace that brought out the entire outfit. After learning that the rest of the men would be staying for dinner and drinks, they had invited her—some more than others. Darius still looked less than pleased to see her.

When she made it to the dining hall, she was surprised to see Marcus—all dressed up, waiting for her. "I decided to take the task of escorting you tonight."

She took his arm, "Are you really this charming with all the ladies?"

He gave her a bright smile which she knew he probably used on a regular basis. "I can't give away all my secrets, now can I?"

She smiled and then realized this was the perfect opportunity to talk to him away from the Giordano brothers.

"If you don't mind, I'll like us to talk for a few moments."